Home Open Account Help 333 users online

Railfan Technology > Photo Editing and Library Management Software

Date: 10/05/16 10:46
Photo Editing and Library Management Software
Author: gsnyder

I'm currently using iPhoto and Aperture on multiple Macs for photo import and libraries (I must say the library management is very haphazard at this point).  With the two apps no longer supported, I think it's time to move on and use something that is supported and current.  I've started looking at Photoship/Lightroom which seem to be OK for photo import, processing, and editing, but I'm not clear on how good they will help manage my photo libraries.  I'm not real thrilled about these being Cloud based, subscription apps, but it is what it is.

So, the questions:

1. Anyone have experience and feedback with these (or other) Adobe applications?
2. What other applications (stand alone or cloud) are out there that people have used?

Thanks,

Date: 10/05/16 13:45
Re: Photo Editing and Library Management Software
Author: RyanWilkerson

I've been using Lightroom for about 5 years. I have over 120,000 photos in it. I also purchased the non-cloud version. I think it was $99...I hate paying monthly.

Ryan Wilkerson
Fair Oaks, CA

Date: 10/08/16 13:34
Re: Photo Editing and Library Management Software
Author: MartyBernard

Why are you talking about libraries when we have such good search engines?  Title the scan with all the pertinent information and don't then redo the information for the library.  Just file it in folders with railroad names in a file called Railroad Pictures" or what ever names make sense to you.  If you want to find all the photos you took on a specific date, just search the folders for that date.  If you are writing an article on union stations, search for "union station."  Want to see your scans with GP30s in Chicago?  Search for "GP30 Chicago".  This last search assumes you have a good search engine.  I'm spoiled by the one in Windows 10.

Marty

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0387 seconds