Home Open Account Help 346 users online

Railfan Technology > Pocket camera recommendations?

Date: 11/06/16 09:50
Pocket camera recommendations?
Author: Nomad

Hi all,
I'm looking for a more portable camera to supplement my DSLR. I've been considering bridge cameras but I think I might want to go even smaller. So...does anyone have experience with the Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS60 that you'd be willing to share? Any similar cameras that you like?
My main desired features are, in order: fits in pocket, can save in RAW, and as long a zoom as possible.
Thanks for your thoughts!

Date: 11/06/16 10:53
Re: Pocket camera recommendations?
Author: exhaustED

Maybe consider the Panasonic TZ100 (has a different name in the US i think). Similar size to the model you mention but has a 10X zoom and a 1inch sensor so image quality is very/unusually good for a pocket camera.

Date: 11/06/16 11:03
Author: fotorail

I have the ZS50 model.  The 60 is a newer model.  This little camera has become my go to camera for most everything that I shoot aside from sports and wedding.  Great camera, east to carry and handle.  You won't be disappointed.

Date: 11/06/16 12:54
Author: trainjunkie

If cost isn't an object, I'd be checking out the Sony RX100 Mk IV.

http://www.sony.com/electronics/cyber-shot-compact-cameras/dsc-rx100m4

Date: 11/06/16 22:56
Author: norm1153

trainjunkie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If cost isn't an object, I'd be checking out the
> Sony RX100 Mk IV.
>
> http://www.sony.com/electronics/cyber-shot-compact
> -cameras/dsc-rx100m4

Aw, you beat me to it!!   But I only have the m3. Great series, though.

Date: 11/06/16 23:36
Author: coosbaytoday

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?9,3986689,3986774#3986774
Might check this link out...
Good luck.
Todd Montgomery
Springfield OR

Date: 11/07/16 07:03
Author: colehour

I purchased a Nikon S7000 in December. It fits in a pocket easily and has a 20x zoom. I have not used it all that much, but am pleased with the quality of the photos for a camera of this size and price. It does not save in RAW format, however.

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/compact-digital-cameras/coolpix-s7000.html#tab-ProductDetail-ProductTabs-TechSpecs

Date: 11/08/16 23:30
Author: nomosantafe

Nomad Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi all,
> I'm looking for a more portable camera to
> supplement my DSLR. I've been considering bridge
> cameras but I think I might want to go even
> smaller. So...does anyone have experience with the
> Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS60 that you'd be willing to
> share? Any similar cameras that you like?
> My main desired features are, in order: fits in
> pocket, can save in RAW, and as long a zoom as
> possible.
> Thanks for your thoughts!

Get a used Canon A-720 IS.  I have purchased 2 on eBay for less than $ 40.00 each.  It is 8 megapixel and is a point & shoot.  It uses AA batteries and I use the Lithium batteries and they last  a long time. 

It fits in your shirt pocket and has a 6X optical zoom w/10x digital zoom.  It takes JPEG's only, but they are good quality.  I had a picture published in railfan that was taken with this camera.

I keep one in the car for those "grab shots" taht present themselves

Here's 3 photos i have taken with this camera.

1. Portland & western Rock train at Beaverton, Oregon  8/11/16
2.Oregon Coast Scenic RR Excursion 10/1/16
3. This kinda caught me "off-guard".  It's legal here, but I never thought I would see it advertised like this.  Tigard, Oregon 11/3/16

Nomosantafe
Portland, Oregon
"Pacific Wonderland"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/16 23:35 by nomosantafe.

Date: 11/08/16 23:48
Author: CimaScrambler

I really liked my Nikon Coolpix S3000, and imagine whatever the current model Coolpix would be at least as good.  The mode and function selection interface was fairly straight forward.  Unfortunately that camera died in a gullywasher storm on Mount San Jacinto a couple of years ago.  I replaced it with a Canon Sureshot that has been harder to learn to control, but now seems pretty good.  It is amazing how many megapixels get packeged in a little pocket point-n-shooter these days. My one complaint is the sensor noise at higher ISO settings.
Generally, if I were looking for a new pocket camera, I'd look for a descent sensor size and then go over the function and mode selection interface to see if the way it is layed out makes sense.  If you can't quickly find the right selection screen when you need it, you might as well not have that function on the camera, as far as I am concerned.  I tend to use the exposure compensation, flash modes, ISO modes, focus lock on infinity or macro, and white balance adjustment functions the most, so having those where they are easy to find in the software interface is important to me.
- Kit

Kit Courter
Menefee, CA
LunarLight Photography

Date: 11/09/16 15:47
Author: BobP

#3.
Now it will become ubiquitous with CA officially joining the crowd.

Date: 11/14/16 20:59
Author: wabash2800

I had a Nikon Coolpix. it was a 900 dollar camera when new. The lens was very sharp but two things disappointed me. First I found out that it would not manually focus in the macro mode. (I wanted to take multiple close up photos of the same subject (model trains) at different depths and merge the images together with pixel software that produces incredible depth of field. With no manual focus-it couldn't be done with the Coolpix. Other pocket cameras could manaully focus in the macro mode. Perhaps that changed with later models.

​And next, after about 5 years, the software in the camera went haywire. I was told I could send it back for 500 dollars to get if fixed. They wouldn't support updating the software online. I can get the camera to work but there are many workarounds.

The next digital pocket camera will be a Canon.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0496 seconds