Home Open Account Help 211 users online

Railfan Technology > Loading a bunch of photos onto my iPad

Date: 01/04/17 11:25
Loading a bunch of photos onto my iPad
Author: march_hare

OK, I would like to move a couple hundred jpegs from a thumb drive to my iPad.

I really don't want to do this using cloud-based approaches, really would like a local, plug-this-into that solution?  What's the best way to do this?

I have a card reader that allows me to download from my Canon 70D to the ipad.  But if I put other jpegs onto the card, the iPad doesn't recognize that they're there, despite the fact that it's reading the jpegs that the camera created just fine.

Date: 01/04/17 14:19
Re: Loading a bunch of photos onto my iPad
Author: BRAtkinson

I'm not an Apple person, so I can't speak directly for the ipad or iphone.

But having had an Android tablet and now phone, I've used the micro-SD card capability of both to transfer whatever I want from my desktop computer to the Android system.  Both the micro-SD cards I bought come with 'full size' SDHD adapters that the micro simply slides into and the entire thing put in the SD slot.  As far as getting the pix from your camera, you could, if you wanted, use a cable to plug the camera into on USB port and copy from there to the (micro) SD card.

Date: 01/04/17 14:23
Author: trainjunkie

I don't think it can be done sans cloud without a computer and some kind of transfer program such as iMazing. The iPad has neither a card slot, nor a USB connection.

Date: 01/05/17 06:38
Author: birdman

This is a tedious way to do it but it can be done because I have done it from time to time.  Send yourself an email from your computer with 4 or 5 photos attached.  Turn on your ipad and open the email.  The photos will appear.  Touch the screen and hold your finger on the screen until an option box appears on the screen.  Touch "save images" and the photos will be saved to your ipad.  Then, you can delete the emails from your ipad and your computer.  

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/17 06:40 by birdman.

Date: 01/06/17 00:11
Author: imrl

I don't know if what you want is possible. Apple does make a cable to connect to either an SD card or to a USB. The USB version is to connect directly to a camera. I have used both and they work great. Open up photos, connect your camera or memory card and import all pictures. Now, I can't find a USB memory stick right now to try that with the USB cable but it may be possible (and the internet seems to think it does). If you don't wish to buy the cable (I think it's $29), there is another way that is free, but a bit more involved. Download an app called Dropbox, create an account, download the program to a computer. Move all pictures from your memory storage device into Dropbox's folder on your computer. Those will be uploaded to the cloud (yes, I know you said you didn't want cloud based options), open Dropbox on your iDevice and all of your pictures will be there.  You will have to save to camera roll each picture separately, so if you have many pictures, that's where it gets more tedious. For this to work, both the computer and the iDevice will need to be connected to the internet. I use this method to get pictures I've taken and downloaded to my computer, run through a photo editor and back to my iPad for viewing and sharing later. 

Date: 01/07/17 20:23
Author: erben22

march_hare Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have a card reader that allows me to download
> from my Canon 70D to the ipad.  But if I put
> other jpegs onto the card, the iPad doesn't
> recognize that they're there, despite the fact
> that it's reading the jpegs that the camera
> created just fine.

Three thoughts:

1.)  With the card reader approach, my guess is the iPad is looking in a specific directory on the memory card (perhaps something like ..\DCIM\100CANON) and you might have the photos in a path like ..\MyPhotos.  Try copying one of your other photos to the directory photos on the card that do show up on the iPad already exist.

2.)  Using iTunes and the iPhoto app, you can add files via iTunes to the iPhoto app and it will copy them to the iPad.  From there, you may be able to export them to the Photos app.
3.)  I don't have a setup handy to test, but there may be an app like iPhoneExplorer or such that would let you copy photos over.  I've used these types of apps to copy files off an iOS device -- cannot recall if they let you copy to the device offhand.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0408 seconds