Home Open Account Help 180 users online

Railfan Technology > Leaking batteries.

Date: 02/02/17 13:05
Leaking batteries.
Author: K3HX

Date: 02/02/17 15:28
Re: Leaking batteries.
Author: 55002

For security reasons, I'm not allowed to access this site!! From the link I gather it is refering to leaking Duracell batteries. I've recently come to the conclusion that they are not 'the same' any more. They lasted for years, when not in use, in useful items. Only a couple of weeks ago I had to throw away the Maglite in the car glove box due to the excesive leaking Duracells. chris uk.

Date: 02/02/17 17:28
Author: tinytrains

Probably valid. I have had lots of leaky Duracells the last few years.

Another interesting Duracell item are their LED flashlights. Inexpensive, and very bright, but all other flashlights in the world have a simple on/off switch except these. They have 3 modes bright, low, and off. Each accessed by clicking the button. It is real easy to click from bright to low, put the light down on its face and run the batteries dead thinking its off. I figure this is to sell more batteries. I have taken storing them on their sides so I can tell if they are still on. Then of course, when they go dead, they leak and ruin the flashlight.

Another company that ain't what it used to be.

Scott Schifer
Torrance, CA
TinyTrains Website

Date: 02/02/17 17:45
Author: Ray_Murphy

tinytrains Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Another company that ain't what it used to be.

Found this (dated 2015):

Duracell currently has three plants in the USA - Cleveland, Tennessee; Lancaster, South Carolina; and La Grange, Georgia.  Elsewhere, I know of Aarschot in Belgium and Dong Guan in China. I have a Duracell lithium coin cell in my hand which is stamped "Japan". Now that Proctor and Gamble has sold Duracell off to a hedge fund, manufacturing will probably move wherever in the world wages are lowest and they can avoid the maximum amount of tax and environmental regulation.  

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/17 17:46 by Ray_Murphy.

Date: 02/03/17 05:47
Author: K4s

I haven't had any problems with Duracell batteries leaking, but Raovac and Energizer batteries are another story. I've had all kinds of leaking problems with them.
A tip for curing leak damage is to use white vinegar to clean it up. Works just like baking soda does on your car battery terminals.

Date: 02/03/17 10:13
Author: radar

My experience has been that Duracells are much more prone to leaking than other brands.  This was not the case years ago, so they have cut corners somewhere.  I try to avoid Duracells whenever possible.

Date: 02/03/17 10:31
Author: TCnR

Had some Costco batteries leak, maybe all this explains where they came from. Thanks for explaining the background.

Had them in my radio scanners and my Rail-Lynx throttles.

Date: 02/03/17 17:21
Author: Frisco1522

Always had nothing but trouble with Ray O Vac.

Date: 02/03/17 19:17
Author: tinytrains

Has anybody found a battery brand they like?

Scott Schifer
Torrance, CA
TinyTrains Website

Date: 02/04/17 13:54
Author: TCnR

Energizers, no leaks, seem to last longer for my use.

-------------------------------------------------------
> Has anybody found a battery brand they like?

Date: 02/04/17 23:20
Author: Rick2582

Using Sanyo Eneloop NiMH batteries for most applications now - rechargeable.  Primary batteries gave me too much trouble and rechargeable types are now their equal and beyond for capacity.

Date: 02/05/17 00:55
Author: cuontv

I buy in bulk pallet loads of Duracell's professional battery line for commercial use.  Being decades-long user of the brand they were worth the extra price for critical applications.  In the past couple of years the quality has plummeted with the product being no better than off-brand no-name offerings.  Batteries leaking out of unopened boxes, short lifespan, unreliable voltage and current supply, etc., have become all too familiar occurrences with the brand.  It started with the AAA size and now has expanded across the product line.  Twenty years ago they had a bad run of AAA's and made a conscious effort to recover the failed product by contacting consumers in various ways and provided a two for one replacement program at their cost with an apology.  Today complainants are lucky to get a "We're sorry" e-mail. 

If you experience a leakage issue neutralize the acidic electrolyte with baking soda and clean the residue off with white vinegar using a old toothbrush and cotton swabs.  If metal parts have become corroded or darkened by the corrosive ooze polish and shine them up using light sandpaper, a nail file or X-Acto knife tip.  Any surface that comes in contact with the battery's electrical terminals should be clean and shiny.  If you get any of the goo on your hands wash thoroughly with soap and water.

Date: 02/08/17 10:27
Author: kk5ol

I honestly can't say I've ever had an unattended dry cell/alkyline/ etc. of any brand battery that didn't leak eventually. One just has to make it a priority to periodically check to see if they work & are not leaking.

RailNet802, owevaaaah

Date: 02/20/17 07:50
Author: dirkb

After having duracells leak in a fluke network tester (fortunately, white vinegar took care of it) and numerous bluetooth keyboards, (tossed) Ive been careful to remove them from items when stored.

Date: 02/27/17 09:07
Author: jdp

When the ROHS (Reduction of Hazardous Substances) batteries first came out I noticed many formerly good brands with new and severe leakage problems, particularly if the batteries were left somewhere warm to hot (car).
This seems to have improved a bit!!! Not very much though.

Date: 04/08/17 18:25
Author: Stig

They (maglite)do this to sell to the thier number one client , law enforcement.  Some departments allow a strobe feature but many only allow  on /off or  on high , on low and  off.  I personally switched to rechargeable ni cad batteries for long storage devices and rotate 2 to 3 times a year. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0598 seconds