Home Open Account Help 390 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Any Santa Fe Southern Images?

Date: 10/26/05 15:55
Any Santa Fe Southern Images?
Author: webmaster

Does anyone have any Santa Fe Southern images they could post?

Todd Clark
Trainorders.com

Date: 10/26/05 16:03
Re: Any Santa Fe Southern Images?
Author: pecosvalleychief

I have a bunch from when I rode this past May. Anything in particular ie exterior, interior? Shots from the flatcar?

Allen in Bakersfield

Date: 10/26/05 16:05
Author: NDHolmes

I spent a Saturday chasing them around last January. Neat little railroad, especially since they still run real mixed freights. On my next trip, I'm planning to go back and ride. Anything specific you're looking for, Todd? I can look through all of my random SFSR photos when I get home, but in the meantime, here's a couple dozen I posted on my site over the summer:

http://www.drgw.net/trips/report.php?tr=SWS2.1

Nathan

Date: 10/26/05 16:25
Author: webmaster

Perfect Nathan.

Todd

Date: 10/26/05 17:17
Author: cajon

Here you go Todd June 2005
Dennis

Date: 10/26/05 17:21

On the way to Lamy. Todd you need to use your search as I put some picture up there this year. Pick up the empy beer box on the way to Lamy
Dennis

Date: 10/26/05 17:22

Picking up the empy beer box.
Dennis

Date: 10/26/05 17:23

On the way back from Lamy to Santa Fe.
Dennis

Date: 10/26/05 17:28
Author: Evan_Werkema

NDHolmes Wrote:

> I can look
> through all of my random SFSR photos when I get
> home, but in the meantime, here's a couple dozen
> I posted on my site over the summer:
>
> http://www.drgw.net/trips/report.php?tr=SWS2.1

Interesting. I especially like the enginehouse foundation and the stone-lined pits. I didn't know to look for them, so I missed them when I rode the SFS last July. From the train, I did see that the grade of the wye a mile or two south of the depot is still intact. Now, to get it rebuilt, get a Prairie running, and have steam to Santa Fe once again!

Date: 10/26/05 19:01
Author: Castle_Romeo

What is the speed limit of the track? The reason I ask is because Albuquerque Transit is considering commuter service on the Santa Fe Southern. It looks like they'll have to rebuild the track from the ground up.

Date: 10/26/05 19:14
Author: Evan_Werkema

Castle_Romeo Wrote:

> What is the speed limit of the track? The reason I
> ask is because Albuquerque Transit is considering
> commuter service on the Santa Fe Southern. It
> looks like they'll have to rebuild the track from
> the ground up.

It felt like 10 mph, and the train slowed down going over most of the numerous wooden trestles on the line. It's presumably at least Class 1 track, since they are hauling passengers.

Date: 10/26/05 19:31
Author: NDHolmes

Unfortunately, what remains of the old inspection pit and first depot are probably toast by now. Both were in the way of the redevelopment and not really "found" until construction started on the project. The engine pits were unfortunately right atop where an underground parking garage will go. I can't remember exactly how the old depot sat, but I do remember that it, too, is in the way of the redevelopment project. All that's likely left today are photos and a archeologists' report gathering dust somewhere. (I haven't been down there since I took those, but supposedly they were within weeks of construction starting when I was there.)

The branch is a twisty, winding sucker that, in its current form, isn't suitable for commuter use. The track is actually in good shape, with solid ties, good bridges, and even chunks of welded rail in places. It's just a very poor alignment that the ATSF chose 125 years ago. With the way it curves around and wanders over the terrain, you'd almost think the DRGW narrow gauge guys laid the thing out. The line is the way it is because of climb up to the Galisteo Plateau (Lamy at near the bottom, Santa Fe at the top). I don't remember what the rise between Lamy and Santa Fe is, but it's a decent climb over a short branch. They'll need to engineer some serious improvements to get the line speedy enough operations for commuter service.

Nathan

Date: 10/26/05 19:34
Author: mikey

Evan_Werkema Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Interesting. I especially like the enginehouse
> foundation and the stone-lined pits. I didn't
> know to look for them, so I missed them when I
> rode the SFS last July. From the train, I did see
> that the grade of the wye a mile or two south of
> the depot is still intact.

I still can't believe you didn't get her number!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0693 seconds