Home Open Account Help 304 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > 53' Intermodal Containers

Date: 11/18/05 17:00
53' Intermodal Containers
Author: sd60m

Are these domestic or international trailers? Which ones go overseas...or...do they all?

Thanks for any kind response.

Date: 11/18/05 17:40
Re: 53' Intermodal Containers
Author: tracktime

With very few exceptions (maybe going to South America), 53's are for domestic service in North America only.

The only time they are usually found on the seas are when the new ones from Jindo get delivered to the USA from China.

Cheers,
Harry

Date: 11/18/05 17:43
Author: okeana

53'container are domestic.
You can only send 20',40'& 45' to other countries.
It also bepends on the country you would ship it to.

I do know the condion of most container chassies used in the Dallas/Ft,Worth yards are in pretty bad shape, that is the ones that are owned by shiplines.

The ones that are owned / railcontrolled are in a lot better shape.

In this day an age why would any company buy new chassies ,with automatic air inflaters, virgin/tubeless tires and bud wheels change these out.

To removed of the inflaters, bias recapps with tubes and dayton wheels.
They also rivet the lights in so the drivers cannot repair them, most of the time they are just unpluged!

Date: 11/18/05 20:21
Author: NS

Thats right, no 53's are put in revenue international trade, even to So. America. The simple reason is that ships aren't configured to accomodate such large containers, much less the infrastructure of the receiving ports. On this point, consider manuvering a 48' or a 53' down an Asian city street, the infrastructure isn't built for this.

I do agree that NEW 53s come in via ship upon delivery from Asia. The most recent Hub Group and Swift 53s are of Shanghai origin, some new Swifties are even on the dock right now in the Port of Los Angeles.

Ted S-P

Date: 11/18/05 20:44
Author: tracktime

NS Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thats right, no 53's are put in revenue
> international trade, even to So. America.

Okeydokey.. I was thinking of Crowley's service to Puerto Rico, just barely south of the contiguous 48 of our US of Aye..

53's make it on over there to P.R.

http://www.crowley.com/liner-shipping-services/equip-enclosed-53-cntr-trlr.asp

Cheers,
Harry

Date: 11/18/05 20:52
Author: SOO6617

NS Wrote:
> Thats right, no 53's are put in revenue
> international trade, even to So. America. The
> simple reason is that ships aren't configured to
> accomodate such large containers, much less the
> infrastructure of the receiving ports. On this
> point, consider manuvering a 48' or a 53' down an
> Asian city street, the infrastructure isn't built
> for this.
>
> I do agree that NEW 53s come in via ship upon
> delivery from Asia. The most recent Hub Group and
> Swift 53s are of Shanghai origin, some new
> Swifties are even on the dock right now in the
> Port of Los Angeles.
>
> Ted S-P
>

I am curious how the are shipped to the US as deck cargo on a bulker, or something like a heavy lift ship, they can't fit in the cells of a container ship. Unless you did something odd like only on the top level and then alternate stacks has to have one less container to accomodate the overhang.

Date: 11/18/05 20:59

>
> I am curious how the are shipped to the US as deck
> cargo on a bulker, or something like a heavy lift
> ship, they can't fit in the cells of a container
> ship. Unless you did something odd like only on
> the top level and then alternate stacks has to
> have one less container to accomodate the
> overhang.

That is something I've always been curious about too, since interior cells within the hull won't allow for them. The one ship I've seen with them on board, of course all 53'units were on top, but I can't recall if they were staggered or not. From what I've seen just within the Port of LA/LB, MSC and either MOL or Yang Ming brought them in. From the OAK side I've seen new Hubs on the Evergreen terminal.

Ted S-P

Date: 11/18/05 21:06

tracktime Wrote:

>
> Okeydokey.. I was thinking of Crowley's service to
> Puerto Rico, just barely south of the contiguous
> 48 of our US of Aye..
>
> 53's make it on over there to P.R.
>
> http://www.crowley.com/liner-shipping-services/equ
> ip-enclosed-53-cntr-trlr.asp

Very interesting indeed, this would not be standard practice for the maritime industry by and large. One thing caught my eye was that the page was under a RORO (Roll on roll off) header, so I wonder if Crowley is suggesting they book RORO service for 53' containers and trailers. Because Crowley still carries several U.S. flagged vessels, this might be a service they charter especially for the P.R. (though I'm not sure if P.R. is covered under the Jones Act). Great find tracktime, this has me curious...

Ted S-P

Date: 11/18/05 21:15
Author: winstonhill

I'm pretty SOO6617 is right. My understanding is that below decks on a container ship everything is 20' or 40', but larger containers can ride as deck cargo. I'm sure there are others here that know a lot more about the subject than I do.

Winston Hill

Date: 11/19/05 08:04
Author: jdb

NS Wrote:
> I do agree that NEW 53s come in via ship upon
> delivery from Asia. The most recent Hub Group and
> Swift 53s are of Shanghai origin, some new
> Swifties are even on the dock right now in the
> Port of Los Angeles.

Are the Swifts really recent? I saw my first one in Seattle last week. I've been wondering if they were new or if I've been out of touch.

jb

Date: 11/19/05 10:09
Author: xsphogger

Speaking of the chassies that haul containers out of LA and Long Beach harbors to various destinations, why are most of these chassies registered in far away states like Maine or Tennessee for example? If they are primarily used in California why shouldn't they be registered there. Also why are most of the contracted "Amtrak California" busses registered in of all places Wyoming?
Also I noticed Ralph's Grocery trailers with "Ralph's First in Southern California" painted on the back all have Illinois plates on them. Maybe this is someplace Governor Arnie could pick up some revenue.
Excuse me while I leave to go down and register my Dodge 2500 pickup in Baja California.

Date: 11/19/05 13:36
Blogo
Author: RobJ

Nothing worse than Blogo here in Illinois, but I thnk he is one termer.
So many ex's here in Illinois in jail or going and Blogo may join him.

Date: 11/19/05 13:46
Author: SOO6617

Probably where the leasing company that actually owns the chassis is based. Also most highway vehicles pay a pro rata on mileage so California probably only loses out on the sales tax.

Date: 11/19/05 16:03
Author: gmojim

Good question. Tennessee and Maine have one time trailer tags which are good forever. They are purchased one time and no renewal. So its a money thing.

gmojim

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0576 seconds