Home Open Account Help 243 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Luckiest Stupid Person of the Year Nomination

Date: 01/05/02 19:45
Luckiest Stupid Person of the Year Nomination
Author: DelMonteX

I would like to make the opening nomination for the Luckiest Stupid person of the Year award.

This mental giant was trying to take his Florist Delivery van across the main line and Salinas siding at what used to be (10-15 years ago) a road crossing for Boronda Rd just NW of Salinas. I can only figure he was trying out a short cut.

Not only did he fail in his bid for a short cut, but failed to make the Darwin Awards nomination list as well. It appears my wife and I were the first to notify the CHP who in turn notified UP. A short time later the Santa Margarita Turn showed up, but was notified in time to come safely to a stop. A tow truck pulled the van from the tracks a few minutes after this photo was taken, and the driver was seen undergoing an intensive interview with a handful of CHP officers.

To all you fans of the Darwin Awards and to it's recognition of the process of removing stupid people from the gene pool, you may be a little disappointed to know that unfortunatly this invidual has already made his contribution at least once. His wife/girlfriend and daughter (assumed) were seen coming to his rescue. While the little girl played on the tracks, the woman was seen in a vain attempt to dig, with her hands, the ballast away from the rear tire, so he could extricate the van. Thus, proving the point that stupid people stick together.

I figure that with the brain power this man has, the future won't bring about the day he bounces his grandchildren on his knee and tells them of the day he brought the Union Pacific Railroad (or at least the Coast Sub) to a grinding halt. He will most likely find another way to make the Darwin Awards. For his family's sake, I hope he is well insured.

Those of you local to the Salinas area, watch the papers for the story about this guy suing is former employer, after the florist company informs him they no longer need his services.

Finally, much of what I've written here is based on my visual observations and some assumptions. If there is some really good reason why the van ended up stuck on the tracks, I'll retract all and appologize.

Date: 01/05/02 19:52
RE: Luckiest Stupid Person of the Year Nomination
Author: columbiadan

Ya got too much sunshine there in California in the winter - that's why you have those kind of problems...........

Dan

Date: 01/05/02 19:55

Is it winter?

Actually here along the central coast, we have more sunshine in the winter then we do in the summer. I'm sure you've heard the phrase "The coldest winter I ever spent was an afternoon in San Francisco", or something like that. I applies to Monterey County as well.

Date: 01/05/02 20:03
Author: columbiadan

I spent a September through December at Fort Ord, California in 1972 doing basic training. It was cold even though it wasn't as cold as I was used to in eastern Washington. No, I just want to see some sun on a Weekend so I can get and shoot some damn trains!!!!

Dan

Date: 01/05/02 20:18
Author: StStephen

At least so far this year, your post wins my second. Unfortunately, railroads all over the country (world?) have to put up with this (dude, shoulda seen the train stop! cool...) and the cost is enormous because of the ripple effect. Well, okay, not on the Coast Line, but many other places. The railroads have little recourse that is enforceable. CHP should impound the vehicle, throw the "dude" in jail for a week or two, and UP should be able to collect damages for the impact to all schedules, manpower, etc. But, alas, ....

Date: 01/06/02 07:23
Author: bobsie

> Those of you local to the Salinas area, watch the papers for
> the story about this guy suing is former employer, after the
> florist company informs him they no longer need his services.
>

And he might sue the railroad too.

-- bobsie

Date: 01/06/02 08:38
RE: Luckiest Stupid Person ARE YOU SURE?
Author: oldrail

You say is "used" to be a crossing. Was it barricaded off? I can see a road surface approaching the tracks. How does it appear to the driver? Could it be mistaken for a service road? Maybe he isn't all that stupid afterall. Not brilliant either.

Date: 01/06/02 12:52
RE: Luckiest Stupid Person ARE YOU SURE?

In order to get where he ended up, the driver had to have done one of two things.

1) Turned right of off Highway 183 at the stub end of Boronda Rd which serves only as access to a small cemetary. He then had to pass through open gates (for the cemetary) and then drive to the end of pavement around some obstructions (turning right again) and then a short distance along a dirt farm lane and hard left up the slight embankement to the ties and rails.

2) Or have turned right off of Highway 183 just north of the Highway overcrossing seen in the photo. Then along the tracks on the dirt farm lane, turning left almost at Boronda Rd, in an attempt to cross the tracks.

The photo I've attached was taken just after the tow truck removed the van from the tracks. The arrow points to where the drivers side front tire was spinning in the ballast. You can also tell that he attempted to cross at least 3 or 4 cars lengths south of the end of Boronda Rd. The pavement for which can seen in the lower left corner of the shot.

Is your verdict now - Stupid as charged?

Date: 01/06/02 14:34
Author: nctrr

Unfortunately, he's stupid and lucky!!! It'll probably be a traffic accident next time and he'll only have minor injuries.
C Chambers

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.066 seconds