Home Open Account Help 204 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Santa Fe Trainorders.com excursion images

Date: 05/03/06 12:18
Santa Fe Trainorders.com excursion images
Author: webmaster

We wrapped up yet another Trainorders.com excursion yesterday between Los Angeles and Santa Fe, New Mexico. I hope to put together a page for these images in the next week, but for now I am posting them here while the trip is still fresh.

April 28: Departed Los Angeles
April 29: Arrived Santa Fe
April 30: Layover day in Santa Fe
May 1: Departed Santa Fe
May 2: Arrived Los Angeles

Image 1: Metis being watered and windows cleaned in Albuquerque.

Image 2: A leisure day in the lounge.

Image 3: The platform was the place to be. This picture is of Steve Cigolle who became our platform caretaker as he was out there the most. At night we would look out every so often to make sure he was still there. The joke going around is maybe next time I should sell the platform as an open air bedroom.

Date: 05/03/06 12:24
Re: Santa Fe Trainorders.com excursion images

Image 1: Upon arrival into Lamy, we were disconnected just short of the Santa Fe Southern connection. The Chief then moved forward into the station. Here, the SFS is receiving authority to enter the main line to pick our two passengers cars up.

Image 2: The famous Lamy rock house. The house is built to look like a rock and was not really carved out of rock.

Image 3: Me and Mason enjoyed a cab ride almost all the way up to Santa Fe. Here I captured the only shot on the trip of Donnalee my wife. She gave me hell for not having more.

Date: 05/03/06 12:30

Image 1: A week before the trip I asked the SFS if we could stop and offer a photo runby. They were happy to accomodate this request and here most everyone piled off the train to capture a runby.

Image 2: Parked at the end of the line in Santa Fe.

Image 3: I think my son had the best of time on the railroad. On departure day he was out watching the locomotive with "Cajon's" grandson when the engineer came over and asked if he could take them to pick up a freight car. Can't argue with that offer. So he got to go for a ride.

Date: 05/03/06 12:36

Image 1: Taking care of private cars enroute is a never ending process. In this short Norm Orfall fills the car with a garden hose while Robert Nickles (engineerbob) chats with him.

Image 2: Mason enjoying the view out the rear. The SFS calls the brush in between the tracks "Traction Motor Cleaners." I told him to brush his hair, but he told me he did, but it was impossible to keep it down because of the wind on the platform.

Image 3: Here comes the fuel truck to ensure that we have enough diesel fuel to run our generators for the ride home. I left out the honey wagon, but from what I hear his hose connection did not fit and had to hold the hose on to keep a good connection.

Date: 05/03/06 12:45

Image 1: Departing Santa Fe for the return we were a mixed passenger/freight.

Image 2: Dennis Ray (cajon, right) and Albert Obert (bert14, left) enjoy the platform.

Image 3: Coming into Lamy a truck driver almost was given the opportunity to own the Pacific Sands. He came slamming his brakes down the hill out of Santa Fe. I guess he did not expect a train even though there are lots of warning signs prior to the crossing. He stopped short of hitting us. I was on the other side and did not capture the scene except when he was driving away.

Date: 05/03/06 12:51
Author: DynamicBrake

GREAT shots Todd...keep em coming. Looks like you guys had perfect weather for this trip!! I'll bet the food was lousy also, LOL.

Kent

Date: 05/03/06 12:54

Image 1: After lunch we boarded the train and staged at the BNSF connection. Here the Chief has arrived and Amtrak, BNSF, and Santa Fe Southern officials watch as our cars are connected. Total delay 16 minutes. Next stop in Albuquerque the schedule is padded by 25 minutes.

Image 2: A FRED is attached to the Metis using a web of wire ties.

Image 3: In Lamy we stopped next to the Amtrak station and passengers stepped off the train to enjoy lunch in the park while the conductor entertained us with his guitar.

Date: 05/03/06 13:00

I will close with a shot of one Donnalee's dessert spreads. After dinner she always had an assortment of homemade desserts. After lunch on two days she had a cookie spread with three types of cookies. She told me this was her easiest trips as she only had to prepare meals for 30 people. She did add that at the same time it was also the most difficult as a combination of the rough track and bouncy Metis left her with motion sickness over some portions of the Arizona and New Mexico sections of the line.

Todd Clark
Trainorders.com

Date: 05/03/06 16:10
Author: alex14ramos

Looks like you guys had a great trip Todd, glad it all worked out and was a success. Man, all these photos call for a PV trip, where is Stan, need some cheap deahead trips in or out of the Oakland area! ; - )

Take Care,
Alex Ramos

Date: 05/03/06 16:40
Author: SantaFeRuss

Looks like everyone had a great time. Real nice photos of the excursion. Glad it was a success.

SantaFeRuss..............out

Date: 05/04/06 05:04
Author: KingCoal

Well, now BNSF knows where their ETD is.

Date: 05/04/06 20:06
Author: ProAmtrak

Great pics Todd, can't wait to see the rest of it! By the way, How'd your wife handle it with 3 and 4 doing 90.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.063 seconds