Home Open Account Help 288 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Dunsmuir Railroad Days

Date: 07/09/06 16:30
Dunsmuir Railroad Days
Author: SW1200

Here are a few shots from Saturday's festivities at Dunsmuir Railroad Days. The parade at noon was fun - a real small-town afair with lots of fire engines, a few floats, the UP Division Supt. as Grand Marshall, and even an all-terrain railfan entry in the float parade. The equipment was open for touring all afternoon, but we chose to leave after the parade and come back later in the evening to avoid the mid-day heat (92 degrees or so).

Hats off to the UP, FRRS, and the locals who put on a fun afternoon. Thanks.

SW1200

Date: 07/09/06 16:36
Re: Dunsmuir Railroad Days

Here's a few more shots from Saturday. The 6936 was on the turntable for tours, and was spun around a time or two every hour or so on the hour. It was the first time I had seen turntable rides offered to the public! The Stanford and Sunset were displayed by UP adjacent the depot - a nice touch - although they left early this morning for other duties. The last shot is of an eastbound pulling slowly past the equipment displays, although he picked it up pretty good once the headend got by the depot.

Again, a fun event. Thanks to everyone who made it happen.

SW1200

Date: 07/09/06 19:57
Author: Mgoldman

Thanks for the pics - was wondering how that event went.

Too bad the SP heritage unit wasn't introduced early enough to make an appearance!
Imagine if the Cab Forward were brought up from Sacramento!

Enjoyed the shots.

Date: 07/09/06 20:40
Author: RuleG

I've seen a photo taken in 1954 of a sign in a small park which was near the turntable that read "Dunsmuir Best Water on Earth." Is this sign still in place? Is Dunsmuir still known for its water?

Dave

Date: 07/09/06 20:49
Author: Waybiller

Nice pics. Did Mrs. SW1200 have a good time? Did little Jack (SW900?) like the "Big Jack"?

Date: 07/09/06 20:52

RuleG Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've seen a photo taken in 1954 of a sign in a
> small park which was near the turntable that read
> "Dunsmuir Best Water on Earth." Is this sign
> still in place? Is Dunsmuir still known for its
> water?
>
> Dave

I don't know about the sign that you are talking about, but yes the City of Dunsmuir still proclaims itself to have "The Best Water On Earth". Not coincidentally, my wife kept commenting about how great the water at our motel was!

Again, a nice weekend up in the mountains. We really enjoyed our little stay in Dunsmuir.

SW1200

Date: 07/09/06 21:06

Waybiller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice pics. Did Mrs. SW1200 have a good time? Did
> little Jack (SW900?) like the "Big Jack"?

Yes, a good time was had by all. The boy is rapidly becoming a UP fan - I've created a monster!

SW1200

Date: 07/10/06 17:21
Author: drew1946

The park is long gone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0576 seconds