Home Open Account Help 321 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > CSXized D&RGW coal hopper

Date: 07/22/07 19:06
CSXized D&RGW coal hopper
Author: GP35

Here is a former Rio Grande coal hopper passing through Bladensburg, Md. just outside the Washington, DC city limits. The shot is from today July 22,2007. Quite a few of these ex. Rio Grande coal hoppers have CSXT numbers and reporting marks running around the CSX system for a couple of years now. I have even seen a UP oxide red repainted D&RGW coal hopper with the UP shield and CSXT reporting marks. Wild looking!

Date: 07/22/07 20:27
Re: CSXized D&RGW coal hopper
Author: SCL1517

That is a good looking specimen you caught there. Wild? Here's wild: CSX inherited thousands of L&N and CRR quad hoppers, most built by Bethlehem as this Rio Grande car was. They discarded most of them, even though they were newer than most C&O cars. This created a hopper shortage, which they have tried to relieve by...well, you get it.

Date: 07/23/07 08:24
Author: csxt4617

What's the number on that hopper? (I can only see the thumbnail)

Date: 07/23/07 08:28

CSXT 834049

Date: 07/23/07 08:35
Author: csxt4617

I thought it might be. Was that brown one next to it a Frisco/HLMX car? (at least I assume
it's HLMX. I've seen similar ones like that) I shot that 834049 in Barboursville WV on the
16th heading east :) Also attached is the photo of the Frisco car ahead of it.

Date: 07/23/07 19:19

Yes the next car was that Frisco hopper.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0429 seconds