Home Open Account Help 387 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > New pools for Rochelle????

Date: 06/04/02 22:29
New pools for Rochelle????
Author: RRKen

UP has barely broken ground for it's new Global III facility when yesterday it was announced it will locate long pools based in Rochelle. The pools were listed working to Boone, Des Moines, Omaha Metro Complex, and Mason City. (The run from Rochelle to the OMC would go very high in seniority)

Mason City? <sarcasm> Are they finally going to run regular Intermodal on the Spine? Perish the thought. </sarcasm>

Seems already, the folks in Boone and Clinton are fearing the worst. Personally, I don't think it will amount to much as it would not save the company money to use the pool for anything else since it's location from Proviso is so short.

Ken

Date: 06/04/02 23:21
Re: New pools for Rochelle????
Author: ball-n-bar

This is how the UP is going to try to implement the "hub and spoke" to our area. Two other runs are to be Rochelle to Ft. Madison and Milwaukee.
The Ft. Madison run will probably run South at Nelson to Buda and connect w/ the BNSF on a new connection that has been on the back burner for a couple of years now. There are to be Two trains a day to each destination. (information from J. Babler UTU general Chairman).

KJ Larson;UPRR
Chicago

Date: 06/05/02 00:43

I can only imagine the response by the guys and gals out there. I cannot wait to see the split between zone 3 and 2 when this is all worked out. I am sure even the Des Moines crowd will get their licks in. Alas, we ain't got a chance up here.

Ken

Date: 06/06/02 05:10
Author: lcw

What I have heard so far is it will be an E1 pool (also, the manager who will be taking over global II has apparently had made that a stipulation in his acceptance of the job.

But then it all depends on who you ask, and which side of the bridge they are from . Additionally, Its a well known fact that Iowa Crews beleive the world ends at the bridge, and to go to route 84 now to get a train is tempting the devil.

ON a related note, the area aquired for Global three has been renamed "Lake Rochelle" after recent rains. Going past the other night it was nothing but water as far as you could see on both sides of the track, by yesterday afternoon, soem water had been absorbed, but there was still water everywhere, and the Kyte river was well over its banks.

Date: 06/06/02 07:04

I believe that part of the Route 84 issue is that according to their agreement, they should not work beyond their district boundries. Since the yard board is located near Rt. 84, there are times when the inbound will be beyond yard limits. The of course, you have the perenial complainers.

I believe when this comes about, the pools will be allocated by miles on each district. As with the CNW/UP merger, seniority districts that were combined used a top to bottom roster and not dovetailing. Since the Rochelle pool will operate in E1 and Midwest Grain, I suppose those in that pool will be given rights in both districts. Hopefully, it is not dovetailed for the sake of our younger members, who should get prior rights to their miles on the pool.

Ken

Date: 06/06/02 10:09
Author: lcw

RRKen wrote:

> I believe that part of the Route 84 issue is that according
> to their agreement, they should not work beyond their district
> boundries. Since the yard board is located near Rt. 84, there
> are times when the inbound will be beyond yard limits. The of
> course, you have the perenial complainers.

I know , just a little good natured ribbing......

>
>
> I believe when this comes about, the pools will be allocated
> by miles on each district. As with the CNW/UP merger, seniority
> districts that were combined used a top to bottom roster and
> not dovetailing. Since the Rochelle pool will operate in E1
> and Midwest Grain, I suppose those in that pool will be given
> rights in both districts. Hopefully, it is not dovetailed for
> the sake of our younger members, who should get prior rights to
> their miles on the pool.
>
> Ken

Every few months we get a new set of rumors. Alot of what you posted was new to me.. (Basically we have heard it wil be a 130 mile day without AFHT in Cedar Rapipds. ). I hadnt heard anything about the Spine lines, or the milwaukee jaunt. Additionally they should have regular road transfer jobs between GLO3 and GLO1, 2, NS Ashland, and CSX 59th street. Its going to get very interesting to see what happens with it all.

To here the Boone Guys talk about it, they will still be based at Boone, but their district wil now run East to Rochelle (all trains) and west to North Platte ( again all trains). This was what I was hearing from them as recently as last week.

The last figure I had heard on equalization was the Iowa Boys would get 1 train for our 3. Dont know if that the real deal or not. That was in December of last year.

Also , I had heard because this is a new UP facility, some provisions of the CNW contracts won't apply. Again , just rumor, I havent heard anything official.

ON the good news side of it, It is looking like there will be UP (E1) conventional crews working the yard as opposed to a contractor or RCO as we had heard at one point.
> [%sig%]

Date: 06/07/02 22:16

Despite the establishment of a new pool, the CNW rate will always survive. They cannot get rid of our contract that easy. Even with the proposed Trip Rates, the overtime will be at the CNW rate, if you are 1996 or before.

Personally, I cannot imagine working at the UP rate of pay, either as a trainman or Engineer. And with RCO around the corner, I am hoping that we retain the Footboard Yardmaster CNW rates we get paid here.

Ken

Date: 06/09/02 19:12
Author: ball-n-bar

The proposal for RCO is 46 min. at straight time. Not much for the resposability.

KJ Larson;UPRR
UTU Local 577

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0642 seconds