Home Open Account Help 269 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Montrose Local

Date: 09/30/07 13:16
Montrose Local
Author: JWR

Was curious if anyone knows the days and times the Montrose Local runs out of Grand Junction?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff Robertson

Date: 09/30/07 15:15
Re: Montrose Local
Author: FIREMAN424

last year it was running out of GJ in the morning on friday only,
Randy Allard

Date: 09/30/07 17:06
Author: SCAX3401

FIREMAN424 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> last year it was running out of GJ in the morning
> on friday only,
> Randy Allard

It was also running on Friday mornings back in August when I was in the area. Was in the Mentrose area around noon on the two days I saw it.

Date: 10/01/07 09:07
Author: KoloradoKid

Yes, Friday morning, and they may have gone back to a 0900-0930 departure, but I am not sure on this part. Last Friday the train arived in Montrose at 1700 with patched (DRGW 3118) 1359 leading the 2359, one box and 18 empty wood chippers. The switch out the 9 loads of chips waiting, place 9 empties, and park the train. Sunday they pull the 9 loads (loaded on Saturday) and switch in the last 9 empty wood chip cars, and head to Delta. There, they pick up the cars they left Friday and its on to Grand Junction.

Of note is a new lumber yard just South of Delta that gets 5-7 cars each week. The local shoves new cars in on south end of their siding, pushing the empties to the north end. On the return trip, they pick up the empties off the north end. Nice to see a new siding being built, and busy. There are still two active roof truss builders in the Montrose area, getting 3-4 cars weekly between them. Mag-chloride loads vary. This line is far from being in danger of closing. When the local runs 40-60 cars, there is little concern for the lines value.

KK

Date: 10/01/07 12:33
Author: JWR

Thanks for the detailed info. KK, I will have to try and figure out how to fit both that and the Cane creek train in.

Jeff

Date: 10/01/07 13:54
Author: rehunn

Unless you're working on UP logic, "If we abandon the branch we can quit tripling the hill!!".

Date: 10/01/07 21:30
Author: mundo

And to think that a daily passenger train operated daily in the 50's, including a through sleeper to Denver! I got to ride it in 1951!

Times have changed in 50 years.

Date: 10/01/07 23:14
Author: DRGW

JWR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the detailed info. KK, I will have to
> try and figure out how to fit both that and the
> Cane creek train in.
>
> Jeff

Tough to chase the southbound (eastbound) trip of the Montrose Local and do the Potash in the same weekend. And that southbound trip of the Montrose Local usually provides some good light and some great scenery. If that patched DRGW unit is still leading, I'd go for that one. Or you can do the Potash on Friday and the return trip of the Montrose Local on Sunday (probably in unfavorable light and perhaps without the ex-DRGW leading. Or you can stay for eight days and get it all in... <G>
Good luck, and be sure to share your experiences and photos!
-Wes

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0601 seconds