Home Open Account Help 280 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Concil Bluffs / Western Iowa Questions

Date: 10/24/07 11:40
Concil Bluffs / Western Iowa Questions
Author: SVTS

Might be taking a trip up to CB this weekend, and maybe even out to Boone to ride the train there. Can anyone suggest some nice, safe locations for me and my daughter to take in some action in the CB area? Also, where might I find the Chinese steam engines that are in use by the Iowa Interstate, and where are some good locations to shoot that railroad as well. Frequencies?

Chris Bogley
Bowie, MD

Date: 10/24/07 14:50
Re: Concil Bluffs / Western Iowa Questions
Author: jim55

The Union Pacific Museum is in Council Bluffs. Look in the phone book. I am not a UP fan but they did a very good job, all 3 floors of it. Price is right($0).Jim

Date: 10/24/07 15:03

That is already on my list, and frankly, the main reason for our trip. Take Ashley to the Zoo and goof off at the mall, then stop by Rails West and the UP Museum. It looks like we are also going to head out to Boone and ride the train on Saturday.

Chris Bogley
Bowie, MD

Date: 10/24/07 15:54
Author: bnsfjth

You won't be able to see the RDC (IAIS's parent company and owner of the steamers) QJ's. They are stored inside a shed in Newton, IA. No plans that I know of to have them out running anytime soon. The Iowa Interstate operates mainly at night on the west end of the system, but you may catch the Council Bluffs switcher working in Council Bluffs, and you may be able to catch the eastbound freight leaving Council Bluffs in the evenings.

The best places to watch action around Omaha are outside of Omaha. In town, the UP main generally runs on a high fill away from any viewing locations. You can either sit at the Amtrak station downtown or out of town to the west around Elkhorn or Valley and up around Missouri Valley on the Iowa side. When you go to Boone, take Highway 30. It parallels the tracks nearly the whole way from Missouri Valley to Boone.

-Justin

Date: 10/24/07 18:28
Author: Thomas

SVTS Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That is already on my list, and frankly, the main
> reason for our trip. Take Ashley to the Zoo and
> goof off at the mall, then stop by Rails West and
> the UP Museum. It looks like we are also going to
> head out to Boone and ride the train on Saturday.

Another place to stop in, if you have time, would be the Durham Western Museum, a restored large station with some UP static cars on the lower floor and a view of the tracks as they approach the Missouri River bridge to Council Bluffs. It's just south of downtown Omaha and next to the Old Market area, where there are plenty of restuarants in old brick warehouses.

Thomas

Date: 10/24/07 18:54
Author: rehunn

If you're just looking for photo spots then Highway 30 is excellent. There's a beautiful
shot right at the edge of Blair where the ex-CNW line comes off the Missouri River bridge.
Back a ways at Valley there's usually power spotted, the line split at Fremont is interesting,
the line between Fremont and Blair is quite scenic. There's a Speno train spotted at
Missouri Valley and best of all Miley Cyrus has left Omaha and there's no chance of your
child wanting a pair of seats for her concert at $4000 for the pair!! And I thought brass
was expensive! Have fun there's tons to see and if you're lucky maybe the Chicago Central/
CN will show up!

Date: 10/24/07 19:22

Yeah, I have been checking out maps and photos, and I think we are going to get a early start Sat. for the trip out to Boone, taking US 30 the whole way. I got a few spots marked off, Missouri Valley Bridge, Woodbine, and Kate Shelley Bridge. First train leaves at 1:30pm, so we need to be there about 1pm. Mapquest says it is 138 miles from Blair to Boone, not counting access miles from side roads. I figure if we are on the road by 7, we'll have about 3 hours to play with. Worse case we take the 4pm train out of Boone.

rehunn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you're just looking for photo spots then
> Highway 30 is excellent. There's a beautiful
> shot right at the edge of Blair where the ex-CNW
> line comes off the Missouri River bridge.
> Back a ways at Valley there's usually power
> spotted, the line split at Fremont is
> interesting,
> the line between Fremont and Blair is quite
> scenic. There's a Speno train spotted at
> Missouri Valley and best of all Miley Cyrus has
> left Omaha and there's no chance of your
> child wanting a pair of seats for her concert at
> $4000 for the pair!! And I thought brass
> was expensive! Have fun there's tons to see and if
> you're lucky maybe the Chicago Central/
> CN will show up!

Chris Bogley
Bowie, MD

Date: 10/24/07 19:57
Author: rehunn

Every town between Blair and Boone is 25 mph through town so yah, play it safe.

Date: 10/25/07 00:19
Author: Doubledumb

Forget the Kate Shelly. The road to the bridge is closed due to the construction of the new bridge.
Both directions closed & barricaded. This is as close as I could get. 10/18 /07

Jack

Date: 10/26/07 06:09
Re: Council Bluffs / Western Iowa Questions
Author: Dakguy201

The Durham Western Heritage museum is very interesting. It is an art deco railroad depot that has been beautifully restored. I would allow at least 2 to 4 hours to see the building itself and the various exhibits.

I'm less enthusiastic about the UP Museum in Council Bluffs, but since you are in the area you might as well see it.

Railswest has Burlington 915 (a 4-6-0), UP 814 (a Northern 4-8-4) and several railroad cars. If you are into model trains, ask to see the layout on the 2nd floor of the depot.

Of course, on the south side of Omaha a Big Boy and a Centennial are exhibited in a park overlooking the I-80 bridge across the river.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.074 seconds