Home Open Account Help 346 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > MRL Derailment @ Bonner, MT

Date: 10/29/07 15:33
MRL Derailment @ Bonner, MT
Author: CFWRRCEO

A Montana Rail Link "Dirt Train" (the trains used to haul re-claimed contaminated soil from the Bonner Dam removal project) derailed its two locomotives and an empty car early Saturday morning in the old Milwaukee Road yard near the Bonner Lumber Mill (Stimpson). Damage was limited to the locomotives and the track. No private property was damaged, no fuel spilled and no contaminated soil was present at the derailment site. My purpose here is to provide some pics of the derailment and the ensuing track replacement and subsequent removal and return to Missoula of the damaged engines. Early reports (radio and TV) indicate worn ties were the problem which most likely allowed the rail to roll under the locos weight. The train was reported to be doing less than 10 MPH when the derailment occurred. Soft ground next to the track allowed the locos to sink in up to their tanks hence the dramatic angles seen in the pics. During my times at the accident scene, it was highly evident that care and expertise led to a quick resumption of service on this part of the line. MRL's crews worked hard to repair the damage and should be commended for they're efforts. Bob

Pics 1-3 show the results of the derailment.

Date: 10/29/07 15:41
Re: MRL Derailment @ Bonner, MT

After the locomotives were re-railed there was a large gap in the track. Track crews spent most of Saturday preparing panel track to replace the damage track. Sunday morning saw the start of the track replacement. Both Panel Track and and hand-laid ties and rail were used.

Pic 1 The gap in the track left by the derailment.

Pic 2 The 2nd panel track section is laid.

Pic 3 Laying out the ties and rail for the last few feet of track.

Date: 10/29/07 15:52

Following replacement of the track, the crews departed and it was until several hours later the a "Bonner Local" crew came out to retrieve the damaged engines. First, there was the matter of some ballast for the new section of track. The train crew pushed both damage engines together and began to spread the ballast. Finally, they gathered up the two engines, took them dead in tow and headed for the MRL main at Bonner and on to Missoula.

Pic 1 Spreading ballast over the recently replaced section of track.

Pic 2 MRL 262 and 263 begin they're journey back to Missoula, MT D.I.T.

Pic 3 The damaged engines safely regain the solid rail of MRL's mainline to Missoula.

Thanks to Gary Tobol of Bonner, MT for pics 1-3 in the initial posting.

Date: 10/29/07 17:30
Author: alco636

Great thread, photos, and information. Thanks! So, this is a former MILW ROW? A branch, or part of their mainline?

Date: 10/29/07 17:57
Author: Yardmaster

WHat kind of cars are being used to haul the dirty dirt?

YM

Date: 10/29/07 18:15
Author: MrMRL

Yardmaster Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> WHat kind of cars are being used to haul the dirty
> dirt?
>
> YM

MRL's new 43000 series gons. like this one...

Mr. MRL

Date: 10/29/07 18:22
Author: up833

Fresh paint on the locos..too bad!
Roger beckett

Date: 10/29/07 18:41

It was part of a branch line that went all the way to Clearwater Junction near Seeley Lake where I live. Was torn up back about 1978 if I remember right. The yard area remained into MRL but it wasn't until Sunday that I knew it was still usable or in use. Others may be able to expand on this further. Bob

Date: 10/29/07 22:27
Author: Yardmaster

Another interesting part of that branch line is that the BA&P had surveyed that route for a connection with the GN at Kalispell.

YM

Date: 10/29/07 22:33
Author: Yarddogh

So that's what those plows are for . . ! Nice pictorial. 'Dogh

Date: 10/30/07 14:49
Author: xsphogger

The crew should get a "finders fee" for finding the bad track. Those new heavy cars and old bad track, bad combination.

Date: 11/01/07 20:21
Author: espeeboy

Hmmm, so it is agreed that this batch of CEECO repaints might be jinxed? Look out MRL253 when you make it home!!!

( see http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,1523146 )

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0441 seconds