Home Open Account Help 313 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > BNSF in the dirt...

Date: 03/31/08 06:50
BNSF in the dirt...
Author: a737flyer

Today's paper reported a BNSF train with 124 cars and ten locomotives (!) jumped the tracks 8 miles south of Tacoma Sunday at around 3pm. That sounds like right near the tunnel...or by Day Island. Anyone know where it happened?

I heard a lot of trains sounding whistles yesterday, but was busy with real estate and didn't get a chance to follow up on it, nor find out what was happening.

Date: 03/31/08 16:15
Re: BNSF in the dirt...
Author: rdcalldude

Headed across the Tacoma Narrows Bridge going back home to Gig Harbor yesterday. Noticed a stopped train with alot of blaze orange vests walking around 1 car in particular. On the way home from work, could see a MOW crew down there with new ties. Looks like at least 1 jumped the track.

Date: 03/31/08 16:31
Author: Railhead1956

Date: 03/31/08 22:18
Author: DelMonteX

Here's a couple photos. Rather difficult to get to.

Steve Carter
Gig Harbor, WA
My Photography

Date: 04/01/08 06:34
Author: a737flyer

More than a mile up the tracks from Titlow and that area is almost inaccessible... When I was a kid, my cousin and I used to romp through the woods along the tracks below the Narrows Bridge and once encountered a work train with a VERY old Steam locomotive and an equally "senior" engineer who invited us up into the cab. I don't remember much except it was hot, and the old by had on the usual engineer garb...complete with a red bandanna scarf around his neck. Fun experience to remember. I think where we were was the area where this derailment happened as the work train was working on a siding that had been fouled by some trees and mud that had come down.

That's also near the spot where, a very long time ago, an NP passenger train was northbound right near the bridge and along came an army bomber. He thought it would be great sport to approach the train from the north and as he did, he opened the bomb bay! Needless to say it created quite a panic and the pilots of the bomber where promptly sent away in disgrace.

Funny story...never have been able to confirm it, but I have heard the story from many sources over the years.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.2231 seconds