Home Open Account Help 223 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > BNSF gets ALL Hanjin traffic

Date: 08/15/02 20:58
BNSF gets ALL Hanjin traffic
Author: 3rdswitch

"Official" word today, just yesterday, Hanjin signed contract, for BNSF to handle ALL Port of Long Beach traffic. Did you hear that, Rat? ALL of it. Stay tuned.
JB

Date: 08/15/02 21:12
Re: BNSF gets ALL Hanjin traffic
Author: foamer

Only a matter of time 'til they start trucking them to Hobart or Commerce (once it opens).

Alameda Corridor is having a backwards effect, rates are so high, that the container companies can pay a trucker less to dray them to the inland yards.

It has happened with APL (who was the innovator of port loading, with UP), and China Shipping.

Pretty soon, the rest will follow.

Foamer

Date: 08/15/02 21:39
Author: rustedflange

Hanjin and China Shipping currently truck to LA because they don't have dockside rail access. Ok, Hanjin does but it has never been used even before the Corridor opened.

And I read that the extra charge applies for all shipments whether or not they use the Corridor, per the agreement. Go figure.

I know congestion is a big issue with the Corridor, UP still runs stack trains via Los Nietos.

Date: 08/15/02 21:57
Author: ockv

I've seen lots of work going on in Commerce.
Anyone know what their plan is for there - will 26th St be the main way in/out (sometimes traffic is bad @Garfield, and the trucks can interfere with the photo ops)
Kevin Vollmer

Date: 08/15/02 22:11
Author: foamer

Plans have changed many times, and will most likely change again.

At first it was going to be the RoadRailer Yard, once all of the GM crap was out.

Then a certain BNSF official said that too much money was spent on Bell, so the RoadRailer would stay there.

Commerce was to be "Outbound Direct-A-Car". That is where the drivers pulling the units out of the port, get the container unloaded off of the chassis, then take the chassis with them.

Now, BNSF is saying it will only handle "Repos", basically trailer trains.

But the way they want to do it is not very well thought out. Trains coming to Hobart will cut off the cars with trailers on the main, then continue onto Hobart. A Switcher crew, will hook upto the cars, and shove them into Commerce.

Trains with trailers only, will have the power cut off, then run around on another main, hook upto the back, then shove in.

I would like to see how long this takes during Amtrak/Metrolink hours!

I am sure BNSF will change their minds again, before the October opening.

Ingate will be on 26th St. Outgate will be Eastern Av.

Foamer

Date: 08/16/02 00:37
Commerce East
Author: karldotcom

I heard the new yard gate is going to be moved up to just west of the Metrolink stop....so no more shots into Commerce Diesel from that angle that avoids the RIPTRACK.

I sent an email about 4 months ago to someone in Fort Worth, and they knew nothing about it.

Date: 08/16/02 05:04
Author: lcw

Where did this officiall word come from ?? IF true this could put a pretty big dent in Global 2's business, as IG2LB is usually ver very heavy with Hanjin and Senator boxes. Trains out of Global two have gotten larger and larger. I would tend to think if Hanjin was contmplating a move, their traffic out of Global 2 would already be seeing a noticable decrease..

Date: 08/18/02 16:14
Author: contrarian

A traffic shift like this is not something you're going to see gradually, due to contractual commitments.

As a Hanjin customer in DFW, I like it. UP service is ok currently, but there have been a LOT of problems with the service during the two or three years it's been on the UP. Everything about BNSF's service into DFW is better for this customer.

Oh. Except for tracing. Now that's going to be a problem.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0693 seconds