Home Open Account Help 367 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > BNSF Santa FE Transcon CTC Query

Date: 08/17/02 17:51
BNSF Santa FE Transcon CTC Query
Author: Billio

This follows up a similar query about a year ago which asked how much of the BNSF "Santa FE" Transcon between Chicago and LA was not CTC'ed. Kind respondees noted two stretches, one extending some miles west of Joliet, IL; the other, some miles between Barstow and Needles, in the Mojave Desert. There also may have been a few miles of Seligman Sub; I'm just not sure. Respondees also noted that CTC was projected to be installed over the (comparatively) few miles remaining.
I also noted with interest a picture posted in these threads of two BNSF trains moving side by side through Kingman Canyon or somewhere further west, an event which would have been impossible without the installation of bi-directional CTC over this stretch.

Sooo....how many miles of the Transcon today still remain without CTC? Have the gaps in Illinois and the Mojave been plugged--either wholly or in part?

Thanks in advance. --Billio

Date: 08/17/02 18:51
Re: BNSF Santa FE Transcon CTC Query
Author: SCAX3401

As for the Mojave segment, the entire line (the Needles Subdivision) is 100% CTC. They completed that about one year ago and concentrated on installing additional crossovers at a couple key locations this year. There is still several gaps in the CTC on the Seligman Subdivision were the DTB (Double Track Bi-Directional running) is current in use. This DTB will allow two trains running in the same running on seperate mains. I understand these segments are to be CTC in the future and that might be happening as we speak.

BNSF6400
Fontana, CA

Date: 08/17/02 20:41
Author: 4400horsepower

I've never been over to Joliet, Il. area on the former Santa Fe, been as far east on the Chillicothe Sub. as Ransom, Il. which is about 40 miles or so west of Joliet. There was a stretch of double track, bi-directional between Pequot, Il. and the crossovers west of Joliet where westbounds use Main 1 and the eastbounds use Main 2.

There is also a stretch of directional running on the Marceline Sub. down between Hardin, Mo. and C.A. Jct. Mo., westbounds use Main 1, eastbounds use Main 2 and the Main 3 is capable of being used both directions. This is also on the joint BNSF/NS between C.A. Jct. and W.B. Jct. just east of Kansas City.

I hope this atleast helps in answering your question, maybe someone else can help us out cause I'm not sure on the Chilli. Sub. part, the Marceline Sub. is only signaled one way on Main's 1 and 2....and I was down there last the last weekend of June.

Brian
Burlington, Ia.

Date: 08/17/02 21:23
Author: imrl

Don't forget the one very short section over the Sibley Bridge that I believe is single track, at least thats what they keep telling me. The ABS section near Joliet might be getting some sort of upgrade due to the new intermodal facility at the Arsenal. I believe its still DT ABS with some CTC "islands", CTC control points in the middle of sections of DT ABS. Maybe Chilli could provide further enlightenment on this...

imrl

Date: 08/18/02 05:55
Author: ddg

Between Merrick (west Emporia) and Ellinor, the south track is CTC, North & Middle are current of traffic. Between O.D. Jct (Eldorado, KS) and W. Augusta, still double track current of traffic, but I think that may change shortly, putting in lots of new, bagged signals & wiring.

Date: 08/18/02 08:26
Re: Impossible side by side?
Author: AAK

>I also noted with interest a picture posted in these threads of two BNSF trains moving side by side through Kingman Canyon or somewhere further west, an event which would have been impossible without the installation of bi-directional CTC over this stretch.

Why? Was there some other reason other than signalling that prevented that? I have ran side by side with another train many many times in strictly ABS with one direction signalling. It was common practice on the NYC (PC) in train order days and I have done it recently a number of times on the MRL's double track one direction ABS utilizing Track Warrants.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0448 seconds