Home Open Account Help 143 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Question about (UP) business trains

Date: 08/26/02 11:37
Question about (UP) business trains
Author: BigDave

I was just wondering, what kind of crew do these trains have? you know, people like porters, for example? (or whatever they call the sleeping car attendants) Chefs? Waiters?

Date: 08/26/02 12:23
Re: Question about (UP) business trains
Author: UPRRPR

The Wimmer inspection special is carrying two cooks and two waiters. One of the main things he does is feed as many of his field people as he can either as they ride along or at the stops. He'll serve up a couple of hundred meals a day. The train also has two mechanical people on board who tend to the air conditioners and other issues.

The customer trains will carry additional waiters as needed from the "DC&H" crew (the nickname carried over from the old Dining Car & Hotel Department). Altogether we have 14 people in the department plus contractors who work part-time depending on the need.

They are all terrific people. They are who make the specials "special". I'm pleased to count them as friends.
JB

Date: 08/26/02 12:56
Author: cdub

Another dumb outsider question, but are these engineering specials "wired" for the information super highway (did this term die back in the 90's?), aka "internet". It seems being on the road for a week or more with a staff of people that they carry, they would need to stay in touch with Omaha, via internet and dialing into LAN's at headquarters.

Date: 08/26/02 13:19
Author: UPRRPR

Everybody seems to carry cell phones and lap tops. Not me. Just a cell phone.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0293 seconds