Home Open Account Help 275 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > DINA - Here's one that didn't make it!

Date: 09/11/02 23:01
DINA - Here's one that didn't make it!
Author: nomosantafe

Just got my CTC Board and for the third time, none of my photos made the cut for DINA.

So I'll just have to share one with the TO crowd.

Portland & Western Eugene Hauler coming off the Willamette River bridge at Albany, Oregon and about to enter UP main.

Enjoy!

Nomo

P.S. Congratulations to Whiskey S. Charlie for your Oklahoma shortline picture. Wish I could have joined y'all.

Date: 09/11/02 23:08
Re: DINA - Here's a second one that didn't make it!
Author: nomosantafe

One more for the TO Crowd.

Portland and Western Toledo Hauler WB at Wrens, Oregon.

Date: 09/11/02 23:34
Re: DINA - Here's one that didn't make it!
Author: WhiskeySCharlie

Looks like you went out during "high sun". That's a "Dale Sanders No-no", NoMo! ;-)

WSC

Date: 09/12/02 04:50
constructive input
Author: fbe

I agree with WSC and might add both shots are crowded and the first is cluttered with brightly colored objects that draw the eye from the subject. Also, the UP unit is awfully dirty to fill the frame with.

Remember, this is one of their premier issues, they (Dale & Brian) and the readers (you & me) are looking for the best. Mine didn't make it either.......maybe next year.....

Date: 09/12/02 09:04
Author: gonx

Railroads shouldn't run trains during the hours of high sun. 'nuff said.

Date: 09/12/02 09:19
Re: DINA - Here's some that didn't get sent in
Author: kstevens

Here are some of my photos taken on June 1. After getting my film back, I felt that my shots were not quite up to magazine publishing standards, but many were still worthy of posting on my website. I got positive feedback from several of you when I first posted the photos, which I greatly appreciate. Honestly, I am and will probably always be my own worst critic. Take a look and see if you see any different shots of some trains that may have been shot by others and published in the magazine (I haven't seen the issue yet, but there are always Tehachapi photos in there). Enjoy...

http://www.trainweb.org/KernJunction/dina02.htm

Date: 09/12/02 11:20
Author: samreeves

The whole thing looked like crap. Somehow the Real World on MTV and Day in North America for CTC Board should have been cancelled a long time ago. I'd get more out of a themed photo section than a hodge podge of wide cabs from June 1st.

Date: 09/12/02 11:51
Author: WhiskeySCharlie

samreeves wrote:

" I'd get more out of a themed photo
> section than a hodge podge of wide cabs from June 1st."

Sam,

That hodgepodge of wide cabs IS North America!

WSC

Date: 09/12/02 12:16
Re: constructive input
Author: donner_dude1

A few rules of thumb for taking good pictures:

From April 1 - Oct 1 avoid shooting between 10am-3pm. High sun angles = ugly pictures.

Avoid telephone wires cutting across photos.

Avoid UP GE locomotives that are DPU capable leading trains in the west (9300-9400's, 5700-58xx, AC4400's). They are frequently grimey due to all of the tunnels on the ol SP and to a lessor extent DRGW. A tough chore since on many routes they are the typical lead power on manifests/coal trains and double as the DPU helper power on the return trip.

Date: 09/12/02 13:00
Author: cdub

samreeves wrote:

> The whole thing looked like crap. Somehow the Real World on
> MTV and Day in North America for CTC Board should have been
> cancelled a long time ago. I'd get more out of a themed photo
> section than a hodge podge of wide cabs from June 1st.

In a way, I'd have to agree with Mr. Reeves. I just had an empty feeling after looking thru all those photos. I think one thing they could improve on are the captions. It would be interesting if more information was provided about each photo. Even if they listed camera equipment and film used would be an improvement. One thing they did do good on was select a diverse group of photos, especially in this day and age of wings and Heritage 2.

Date: 09/12/02 18:32
Author: Goatboat

Randy, this is the shot you needed...where were you when Dan Sheets shot the BNSF job to Eugene going down the street in that nice afternoon light?

- gb -

Date: 09/12/02 18:34
Author: Goatboat

samreeves wrote:

> The whole thing looked like crap. Somehow the Real World on
> MTV and Day in North America for CTC Board should have been
> cancelled a long time ago. I'd get more out of a themed photo
> section than a hodge podge of wide cabs from June 1st.
>

A little Monterrey Jack to go with your White Zin, sir?

- gb -

Date: 09/12/02 21:50
Author: samreeves

No but I'll take a cheese burger with Becks at the Black BearÂ…

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0447 seconds