Home Open Account Help 312 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Santa Train on the SMVRR

Date: 12/24/08 12:58
Santa Train on the SMVRR
Author: smvrrfan

On Dec. 6 the Santa Maria Valley Railroad ran four Santa Claus Specials from their new home in Betteravia to the Guadalupe Interchange where Santa Claus, taking a break from the North Pole boarded the special for the ride back. All four excursions were sold out. Pictures by Friends of the SMVRR photographer Gary Van Aken.

First picture, Santa Claus boarding the train on the second excursion.

Second pic, Engine 70 with the San Luis Obispo Railroad Museum's 1926 Pullman Cafe Observation Car La Condesa pulling into the station.

Third pic, the family of Cochiolo Trucking, SMVRR's transloading partner.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone!

Date: 12/24/08 13:16
Re: Santa Train on the SMVRR
Author: colehour

Thanks for the photos. I often would interrupt a trip between LA and SFO to stop in Santa Maria to see the SMV.

I love the "Railway Express" vehicle. What's the story on it?

Date: 12/24/08 13:29

Oops, wrong photo, No. 9 railbus was here from the San Diego RR Museum in April during a speeder run.

Date: 12/24/08 16:23
Author: 2720

SMVRR #9 is a 1932 Model A powered railbus made by Fairmount for the SMVRR. 1 of 5 units built, this is the one and only survivor. This is owned by the Pacific Southwest Railroad Museum, in Campo, Calif. We also ran it for about 2 years on the Coronado Line between National City and Chula Vista, Calif. south of San Diego.
colehour Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the photos. I often would interrupt a
> trip between LA and SFO to stop in Santa Maria to
> see the SMV.
>
> I love the "Railway Express" vehicle. What's the
> story on it?

Date: 12/24/08 16:57
Author: traindancer169

What's the story on that Santa Fe observation car?

Date: 12/24/08 17:20

traindancer169 Wrote:
> What's the story on that Santa Fe observation
> car?
>
> 169

It is a 1926 Pullman Cafe Observation Car donated by Mr. Gordon Crosthwait to the San Luis Obispo Railroad Museum in June 2006. It was stored in Fullerton until October of last year where it came to the SMVRR. The SLO museum members can now work on the car since it is closer to San Luis. Neat car, the SMVRR uses it occasionally for excursions.

Date: 12/24/08 23:49
Author: iliketrains

Pacific Southwest Railway Museum.

Date: 12/25/08 01:20
Author: clem

smvrrfan Wrote:
> traindancer169 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > What's the story on that Santa Fe observation
> > car?
> >
> > 169
>
> It is a 1926 Pullman Cafe Observation Car donated
> by Mr. Gordon Crosthwait to the San Luis Obispo
> Railroad Museum in June 2006.

Gordon bought it from Findlay Fun Time Tours, where it had been named La Margarita de Oro. I think the original number was ATSF 1516.

Gordon originally kept the car at Burke Chemical Co. siding at East San Luis Obispo. But the cost to switch it onto the Starlight at SLO was prohibitive, since SP did not maintain a switch crew in SLO and would not commit to having the Guadalupe switcher available in SLO on any given day. Its first revenue excursion under Gordon's ownership was to Oakland to Reno and back in December of 1973. To Reno on the Zephyr, and back to Oakland on an overnight stub train account the westbound Zephyr was blocked by a freight derailment.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0738 seconds