Home Open Account Help 310 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP Centennial 6938 on display N Little Rock Jan 6

Date: 01/06/09 22:33
UP Centennial 6938 on display N Little Rock Jan 6
Author: arkansasrailroader

I went to UP Jenks Shops in North Little Rock, AR to visit the UP Company Store (signing in at the guard shack on the way in) and got a few shots of UP Centennial 6938 on display there. Here are a couple of shots in the cold rain.

Date: 01/06/09 22:42
Re: UP Centennial 6938 on display N Little Rock Jan 6
Author: UPTRAIN

Ken, you should have walked to the right of the store down the hall and shot a few pictures of the locomotives occupying the shop floor from the observation platform!

Date: 01/06/09 22:58
Author: Coach

I've heard alot about how the DDA40 4-axle trucks were hard on the rails. My question is, how did they measure this? Were they known for pushing curves out of gauge, or straightening them to some degree? Lots of flange wear / rail head wear? Hard riding? Cracked trucks from stress?

As a showpiece engine, they look great. I've wondered if anyone inside UPRR thought of upgrading some of them for "priority service" prior to retirement? I do realize that's not going to happen, but did these engines have supporters within the management structure?

Date: 01/07/09 05:28
Author: burlingtonjohn

Nice shots, glad to see it is kept up. Memo to UP: lose the bushes.

Regards,
Burlington John

Date: 01/07/09 07:46

I didn't know that. Thanks. When I went to the UP Company Store, I had to walk through a room full of employees having a meeting. I still had my camera around my neck and I just know there were some comments or thoughts, such as "another foamer" "he needs to get a life" or some such.

UPTRAIN Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ken, you should have walked to the right of the
> store down the hall and shot a few pictures of the
> locomotives occupying the shop floor from the
> observation platform!

Date: 01/07/09 07:49

Here's a couple more shots of the 6938..

Date: 01/07/09 11:42

Someone asked me if the Centennial 6938 displayed at North Little Rock Jenks Shops has been gutted. No it hasn't. In fact, the UP person I talked to said it still had all its parts and engine and that with some work could be made runable. Anyone else know for sure?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0518 seconds