Home Open Account Help 226 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Phoenix railfan hotspots?

Date: 08/15/09 14:55
Phoenix railfan hotspots?
Author: mikecollins

I will be in Phoenix Sunday through Tuesday and may have a few hours to spare--where might a refugee from the Eastern board go to see some activity? Will have a rental car...but probably no better a map than what Avis provides.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

--Mike

Date: 08/15/09 15:12
Re: Phoenix railfan hotspots?
Author: rehunn

Depends on when your hours occur and where you're staying because the A&C interchange train in early
enough to beat the heat if you don't mind an hour or so drive. Beyond that the BNSF outbound usually is
early but runs opposite of the sun. The UP locals might be of interest though by the time they run it's
about 125 deg F.

Date: 08/15/09 20:11
Author: AzNerd

Well you got the BNSF yard off of Grand ave or what the RR call Mobest and UP got a couple of small yards in the Phx area, There is also a live steamer RR park in Scottsdale I think at McCormick Park should be open on Sunday.
But be forwarn We have ROYALITY will be in the PHX area Sunday - Tuesday in the form of ye old President & family so certain area may be cut-off from acess and LEO's will be out in force & will not be cutting too much slack on anybody Tresspassing to take RR Pic's.

Date: 08/15/09 21:09
Author: mikecollins

Thanks for the information...didn't know there would be VIPs in the area...but I don't arrive until Sunday afternoon, so maybe I'll miss all that excitement. Unfortunately, I don't know when I may have free time--just trying to come up with a plan in case I get some.

Date: 08/15/09 21:32
Author: calhog

Phoenix in August? Ouch!

Date: 08/15/09 22:29
Author: SCAX3401

calhog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Phoenix in August? Ouch!

Save yourself the trip, just go put your head in the oven. Its the same temperature.

Date: 08/16/09 08:17
Author: RustyRayls

BNSF6400 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> calhog Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Phoenix in August? Ouch!
>
> Save yourself the trip, just go put your head in
> the oven. Its the same temperature.

Imagine the shock to a young man of 18 years, from Michigan, when he arrived in Phoenix on 29 July 1966 in Air Force dress blues!! It was 90°± at 8:00 AM when I stepped down from the train, 115°± in the afternoon while getting familiarized with Luke AFB.

You do get used to it after a while.
Old Bob out in Lost Wages

Date: 08/16/09 10:33
Author: AzNerd

Oh come on now it ain't that bad just remenber it a DRY, DRY, HEAT! Heck I live about 160 miles NW of PHX and it was 41 this Morning and forcast to be about 38F later tonight.

Date: 08/16/09 12:13
Author: mococomike

The Phoenix yards are easy to check out.
20th St. South of Washington is an easy park and view of the east of the yard.
16th and 7th Sts have bridges over the yards where you can stand and see all the action.
43rd Ave is Campo yard which usually has unpatched SP power.
20th Ave and Fillmore is the BNSF Turntable and engine facility.
BNSF yards located up and down Grand ave.
If time permits drive to Maricopa then West on Highway 237 which parallels the Sunset Route to Gila Bend.

Mike

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0343 seconds