Home Open Account Help 229 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Crawford Hill: Breezy Point

Date: 12/12/09 13:27
Crawford Hill: Breezy Point
Author: rcfarewell

Yup, I know a bunch of you have been there, shot that, but.........

Just in case you haven't, then here's an image of returning helpers at Breezy Point on Crawford Hill in Nebraska. The image was shot in "soft" light, but I thought it was still pretty nifty.

If you have images from Breezy Point, why not attach them to this thread and let's give Breezy Point and it's superb afternoon light its due!

Merry Xmas,

RC Farewell

Date: 12/12/09 13:55
Crawford Hill: Breezy Point: the next train
Author: rcfarewell

The sun quickly came out and here's the next train past Breezy Point. The returning helpers seen in the previous image are in the background; the new train is a relatively-rare passage, a manifest. Motive power was BNSF 9220, 9366, 4336, 8267, 8234 and 9680. There were no dpus or rear helpers.

Enjoy!

RC Farewell

Date: 12/12/09 15:25
Re: Crawford Hill: Breezy Point: the next train
Author: 3rdswitch

Very nice shots on a very nice day. As you can see this is not quite "from" breezy point but "of" breezy point back in summer '89 when BN was experimenting with LMX units as helpers [seen in the distance shoving on rear of train] as head end is starting around breezy point curve and you can also see looking at the straight up exhaust the curve was not quite living up to it's name this day.
JB

Date: 12/12/09 17:33
Author: britchie

Great pics, some of us didn't get the T-shirt. Thanks for posting.

Date: 12/12/09 18:20
Author: mustraline

Well done.

Date: 12/12/09 19:46
Author: cota1992

That last photo with the exhaust in the distance is a classic.
Thanks
Art in DC

Date: 12/12/09 20:02
Author: STG6199

Breezy Point is a pale shadow of its former being. Prior to the massive improvement program of the early 1980s "Breezy" as it was sometimes known was single track with a tight curve which passed through a deep cut with a high point of land to the compass east side of the cut. The cut, the point of land, the tight curve and much of the point itself was removed as part of the improvement program.

Date: 12/12/09 20:47
Author: Atsf814

Very nice!

Date: 12/13/09 00:02
Author: mbharr29

I agree with that last pic. Nicely done!

Date: 12/13/09 09:52
Author: BNSFer

I agree, very nice! It has been years since I was there. How is access to the immediate area? Years ago I hiked through the tunnel from Belmont and on to Breezy. Back then the RR employees (train crews and MOW) just waved as they passed by. What is it like now?

Date: 12/13/09 10:15
Author: rugbytown

Been to Crawford twice but was unable to reach BP on both occasions. Good timing for this thread as I just bought the TeamOrndorff book from Blurb and have a modelling workbench full of BNSF coal power. The attached shot shows helpers and DPU's rounding the curve with another load in April 2008. BNSF stopped using three unit helper sets earlier this year and now uses just two.

Date: 12/13/09 13:51
Author: fbe

STG6199 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Breezy Point is a pale shadow of its former being.
> Prior to the massive improvement program of the
> early 1980s "Breezy" as it was sometimes known was
> single track with a tight curve which passed
> through a deep cut with a high point of land to
> the compass east side of the cut. The cut, the
> point of land, the tight curve and much of the
> point itself was removed as part of the
> improvement program.

This was a narrow cut with photographic possibilities though I was too cheap to spring for the really wide angle lens needed to do it right. Now I finally own the glass and use it more than I thought I might but alas the point is just not the same.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.041 seconds