Home Open Account Help 331 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > whistle-horn

Date: 01/13/03 14:30
whistle-horn
Author: grande473

Whatis the difference between a whistle and a horn? This is a serious question.

Date: 01/13/03 14:46
Re: whistle-horn
Author: run8

A whistle makes noise by air (or steam) passing across an opening in a tuned chamber, like blowing across the top of a soft drink bottle.

A horn makes noise by the vibration of a diaphragm inside the housing.

The meanings are obscured, since railroad rule books refer to whistle signals, when pretty well all locomotives nowadays are equipped with horns.

Date: 01/13/03 14:50
Author: MarkD

Simplified, an air horn is a device where pressurized air is forced through one or more (metal) reeds, the sound then amplified and directed by the horn shaped bell, as in a megaphone.
A whistle is air or, in the case of a steam locomotive, steam is released from pressure into a pipe like device with a sort of window cut in it at the proper location and of the proper size to make a tone, such as blowing across a beer bottle. The tone will change with the length of the pipe and the shape, size, and location of the opening. Normally, a whistle will require much more volume or gas, whether air or steam, to operate it than a horn.

A horn can also be electric, such as on an automobile where power is applied to a coil causing electromagnetism to draw a reed like device against a solid object. When this happens, the circuit is also momentarily interrupted and the coil releases the reed. This happens rapidly, causing a sound vibration. This vibration, again, is amplified and directed through the "bell" of the horn.
Mark D.

Also, whistles are much more pleasing to the ear.

Date: 01/13/03 14:51
Author: lrvto

And....."whistle freely for men and equipment..."

Date: 01/13/03 15:18
Author: grande473

Thanks for the information

Date: 01/13/03 15:19
Author: AMTK157

> MarkD wrote:

> Also, whistles are much more pleasing to the ear.

I'll mostly agree with you on that, except for K5LAs- beautiful sound!

Date: 01/13/03 16:21
Author: nathanp5

Actually, many of the manufacturers of locomotive air horns refer to them as "whistles," or "air whistles." For example, in the Leslie catalog I have, their offerings for commonly used railroad horns are termed: "Leslie Supertyfon Air Whistles," but we would commonly refer to them as air horns.

The true difference is that an air horn uses air to cause vibrations in a material diaphragm, usually made of a sturdy metal, phenolic, or plastic material whereas in a whistle, the medium itself (steam or air) is the vibrating element.

Mike

Date: 01/13/03 20:14
Author: Michael_SD40-2

All I can say is that I consider it a "whistle". The rule books call it "whistle signals" and not "horn signals" however, the newer locomotives have a button that says "horn" on it. My father is an old head engineer and he still calls it a whistle. Whistle is proper as far is I am concerned.

Michael_SD40-2
BNSF Southwest Division
US NAVY (active)

Date: 01/14/03 07:51
Re: A horn is a horn
Author: Kurat

Yes yes, I go around on this with a friend who demands that all train horns be called "whistle," when they are, by any technical and dictionary (oh, that!) definition HORNS. "Whistle" is both a traditional railroad term (and we all know how tradition-bound railroaders are) and a generic term for air and steam-operated signals. No, we don't "mouth" a happy tune, either, but that don't mean the mouth is a whistle, does it? Ergo, one can perfectly legitimately whistle with a horn. I'm whistling off for now. Kurt.

Date: 01/14/03 18:08
Re: Horn and Bells
Author: upkpfan

Do you know why cows wear bells? Because their horns don't work. HAHA upkpfan

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0496 seconds