Home Open Account Help 285 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > SP heritage on the Saugus Local at Burbank, CA today

Date: 02/16/10 15:54
SP heritage on the Saugus Local at Burbank, CA today
Author: PasadenaSub

Since I was heading to Burbank to visit a friend this morning, I did my usual custom of stopping at the Bob Hope Airport Amtrak/Metrolink station to get a picture of Amtrak's Coast Starlight #14 beginning its daily trip up the coast. The Starlight didn't show up at the usual time, and a call to Julie at Amtrak revealed that the train would be late in departing LA (maybe being held for a late #3 again?).

As I was about to give up and move on, I could see a caboose coming up the line from Burbank Junction. Knowing this was the returning UP Saugus Local (LOF42?) that usually backs to the Gemco yard in Van Nuys, I knew I was in the right place at the right time. Anyway, here's a few pics of the train - with UP GP40M-2 1490 (ex-SP 7120), GP40-2 (ex-SP 7610), and mega-tagged caboose SP 4612. Nice to see the clean GP's anyway, in the otherwise wide-cab and Genset world of UP railroading in Southern Cal.

Rich

Date: 02/16/10 17:02
Re: SP heritage on the Saugus Local at Burbank, CA toda
Author: 3rdswitch

Nice to see two very clean graffittiless units in the LA area. Good catch.
JB

Date: 02/16/10 17:36
Author: SpaceTrain

Has UP been repainting some of their local/switching units recently? I noted some down in Booth Yard here in Houston that looked to have a fresh coat of paint on them.

Roger

Date: 02/16/10 20:02
Author: erielackawanna

SpaceTrain Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Has UP been repainting some of their
> local/switching units recently? I noted some down
> in Booth Yard here in Houston that looked to have
> a fresh coat of paint on them.
>
> Roger

Don't know... but some of the worst tagged units here in LA have reappeared completely clean.

Date: 02/16/10 21:25
Author: cchan006

SpaceTrain Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Has UP been repainting some of their
> local/switching units recently? I noted some down
> in Booth Yard here in Houston that looked to have
> a fresh coat of paint on them.
>
> Roger

I did see two freshly-painted Z-striped GP15-1's in Denver, at the 36th St. Yard few months ago.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0336 seconds