Home Open Account Help 300 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > San Diego 2nd Main Track

Date: 04/14/03 14:26
San Diego 2nd Main Track
Author: F59PHI450

I got a look at the second main going in between Old Town and Rose Canyon in San Diego this weekend. Looks like the rails are all installed and just needs some ballast work. It's getting close to being done. the signals are all installed but I was unable to tell if they are working yet. I saw that the southern switch is CP Tecolote, any one what the northern switch is?
-F59PHI450

http://www.trainweb.org/f59phi450/

Date: 04/14/03 14:32
CP Morena is...
Author: bnsfcajon

...the other one.

Date: 04/14/03 14:33
Re: CP Morena is...
Author: F59PHI450

Wow! What a timely response. Thanks!
-F59PHI450

Date: 04/14/03 19:00
Re: CP Morena is...
Author: surflinerhogger

All the signals on main one are cut in and working as of 4/12. The CP's are in service for straight track only at this time, so it wouldn't be a good idea to blo and go. Turnouts are 60 at both ends, with 75 in between. They've also reduced the speed on main one from 79 to 75 for some reason. Talked to a worker today and it looks like track 2 MAY be cut in next week or so.

Date: 04/14/03 19:56
Re: San Diego 2nd Main Track
Author: tmengineman

Question, Is "Rose Canyon" kinda just below the 52? Or help me triangulate it within my Street Atlas ...

Thanks!

Date: 04/14/03 20:55
Re: San Diego 2nd Main Track
Author: Griggs

tmengineman wrote:

> Question, Is "Rose Canyon" kinda just below the 52? Or help
> me triangulate it within my Street Atlas ...
>
> Thanks!
>
> [%sig%]

The new track goes from just below the Sea World Drive/Tecolote Road overpass (south end) and up to the Balboa Ave. underpass (north end). I think the control point you can see from Hwy. 52 is a couple miles farther north, is called Elvira, and it's the south end of the double track that goes all the way up Rose Canyon to Miramar.

Date: 04/15/03 10:02
Rose Canyon
Author: CimaScrambler

The line follows Rose Canyon from I-5/Balboa Blvd to Miramar. Elvira is located about half-way up Rose Canyon, near I-5 and Highway 52.

Terraserver topo map of the area shows Rose Canyon in about the middle of the display at the following link.

http://www.terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?t=2&s=15&x=75&y=567&z=11&w=1

Kit

Date: 04/15/03 22:55
Speaking of Rose Canyon Pt.1
Author: bnsfdevore

A couple weeks ago, some homeless set up house under the bridge at Rose Canyon. I noticed they had several 5 gal. Propane tanks as well as 5 gal. gas cans in amongst the rocks. I figured someone needed to know about this. I called 411 to get BNSF phone #, didn't have it. Tried San Diego Northern, didn't have it. Got ahold of someone at San Diego Trolley, they suggested calling Amtrak. Forget about the 800 number. The only number they had was for the Baggage Room at San Diego Depot. Talked to a woman there about it. Bridge was cleared out in two days.

Date: 04/15/03 23:10
Speaking of Rose Canyon, Pt.2
Author: bnsfdevore

A few years ago, I notice some kids coming from the nearby trailer park and seemed to messing around by the tracks. Apparently they were putting old spikes on the tracks! Then hiding in the riverbed next to the tracks. Two NB Amtraks actually stopped after running over them. Amtrak crews came out to inspect track and train. I called San Diego Sheriffs, they patrol the track and ride on the San Diego Northern Coaster. They said it was out of their territory. Then called San Diego Police,
they said they were busy. Asked if the kids were still there. I said no. They stated there wasn't anything they could do. Apparently, It wouldn't be important, unless it derailed.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0532 seconds