Home Open Account Help 351 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Tyler, Tx., was a happen'n place

Date: 05/11/03 07:14
Tyler, Tx., was a happen'n place
Author: goofey

on Saturday...was in Pittsburg, Tx., for Mother's Day *in-law* and the Dallas Morning News called me and asked if I could fill in and cover a high school state baseball playoff game in Tyler, about 45 minutes away..not turning down a chance to grab $200 for a couple of hours work..I said heck yeah..

Mike Carter Field in Tyler, next to Tyler's Rose Stadium *where Earl Campbell used to roam for a 1,000 yards every year in the early 70s* the old SP runs directly behind center field *Shane thought about you buddy*...in the 4 hrs I was there, five trains came rumbling through, mostly double-stacks...even chased one from Gilmer, Tx., to Big Sandy, then to Tyler...

The two teams, Plano East and Lufkin, were playing a best-of-3 series, Lufkin won Game 1 Friday and Plano East came back to win a double-header on Saturday..it was worth sitting in the stands *press box was too crowded for me* and watching state playoff action and double-stacks...only in Texas baby!

Date: 05/11/03 07:40
Re: Tyler, Tx., was a happen'n place
Author: Tom

Sorry, but I can only think of those poor kids when I think of Tyler, Texas. Forgive me for not sharing in your enthusiasm.

Date: 05/11/03 16:46
Author: goofey

I did not know at the time about that situation..sad..REAL sad...and the father SLEPT through the whole ordeal??

Date: 05/11/03 18:32
Author: WrongWayMurphy

That was a sad situation, but it could have
happened (and does happen all too often) just about anywhere. That it happened in Chapel Hill
doesn't mean that Tyler is a dangerous
place. My wifey the Tylerite fondly recalls
her childhood growing up in the Rose capital
of the Southwest.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0305 seconds