Home Open Account Help 307 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP OLS Train comes to Iowa

Date: 06/27/11 16:57
UP OLS Train comes to Iowa
Author: MILW86A

Sunday June 26th Union Pacific ran 4 Operation Lifesaver Trains sponsored by UPEC Club 78 out of Eagle Grove/Ft. Dodge. Since I know some of the folks up there, I got tickets to ride the first trip from Gowrie to Dana, IA on the Tara Sub(ex MSTL).

Photo 1: Former MSTL Depot rests in the city park in Gowrie.

Photo 2: Our train coming in off the Farnhamville Branch. 1995 on the north end, 2010 on the south end.

Photo 3: Some of the folks in the lower portion of the dome car Columbine.

More to follow.

MILW86A

Date: 06/27/11 17:01
Re: UP OLS Train comes to Iowa

1. View from the dome car looking south towards Dana on the return trip.

2. Time for another head end shot after arriving back in Gowrie.

3. Passengers disembark. All really enjoyed the ride.

More to come.

MILW86A

Date: 06/27/11 17:04

Photo 1: Rounding the curve at Moorland where the Tara Sub(MSTL) crosses and connects with the Ft. Dodge Sub(ex CGW).

Photo 2: UP 2010 on the other end, now heading east into Ft. Dodge for the next trip.

Final Set is next.

MILW86A

Date: 06/27/11 17:09

Photo 1: Going underneath the old wooden overpass on the south side of Ft. Dodge.

Photo 2: Here is the train coming back from Moorland, crossing the Des Moines River and the CN Yard on the CGW Bridge, the "other" high bridge UP has in Iowa.

Photo 3: From here, the train made a trip from West Bend to Bode, and then Eagle Grove to Webster City. After that, the train made a run today in Des Moines, then will work its way north to Mason City, then on into Minnesota and Wisconsin later this week.

Again a big thanks to the UP and UPEC 78 for a fun filled day.

MILW86A

Date: 06/27/11 17:14
Author: SCKP187

You got the City of Salina coach---always like seeing that car. It wasn't on the 844 train that came through this area a couple of weeks ago. All nice photos, thanks for the look.
Brian Stevens

Date: 06/27/11 19:32
Author: JLWII2000

Is it true you can just "hop on" the OLS trains? Or do you have to buy tickets?

Date: 06/27/11 19:52
Author: vegasrails

I can only guess but I've never sold tickets on our trains down in Las Vegas, maybe its a regional thing.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0532 seconds