Home Open Account Help 320 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > A day in the life of a coal train-Part 2

Date: 03/10/12 16:19
A day in the life of a coal train-Part 2
Author: 2ebright

This narrative takes up where my first installment yesterday (a day in the life of a coal train) ended; at the Wildcat loadout on the Utah Ry near Helper, Utah. Once loading was finished, the power runs around the loaded train, couples up to what used to be the rear end of the train and takes it back the 5 miles or so to URY’s Martin yard. Here the 6 unit set of manned swing (midtrain) helpers are cut in. Once given authority by the UP Dispatcher, the train enters the UP Provo sub and is off westbound up the 2.4% grade for Soldier Summit and then down to Provo.

1. The loaded train, now led by URY 5001 is about to enter Tunnel #1 at the east end of Martin yard. By this time, I had met up with TO contributor GrandeGold. Jim and I chased the loaded train up Price River Canyon together. I dropped off from the chase between Kyune and Colton to return to my home in the Uintah Basin and Jim continued the chase westbound from there.

2. This shot is near the crossovers at Lynn, above Castlegate.

3. Here we got lucky. Just as we finished shooting image #2, here comes a UP helper set dropping down eastbound from Summit after helping the daily UP manifest up the hill. The two trains met right in front of us.

Dick Ebright
Roosevelt, Utah

Date: 03/10/12 16:21
Re: A day in the life of a coal train-Part 2
Author: 2ebright

4. I couldn’t resist taking this shot at the often photographed gooseneck just below Kyune. The Utah Dept.of Transportation has done railfans a great favor by providing a narrow highway turnout at exactly the right spot for photography here.

5. Here comes the 6 unit swing helper set out of the Kyune gooseneck curve. 5 SD50’s and 1 MK5000.

6. After passing Kyune with its center siding, the grade lessens. Just west of Kyune about a mile is a series of curves dubbed “the wiggle”. I dropped off of the chase here to return the 75 miles north over Indian Summit to my home leaving the chase in the capable hands of GrandeGold.

Dick Ebright
Roosevelt, Utah

Thanks for looking

Date: 03/10/12 17:33
Author: GrandeGold

2ebright Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I dropped off of the chase here to return the 75
> miles north over Indian Summit to my home leaving
> the chase in the capable hands of GrandeGold.

Great shots, Dick. I still can't believe we got all five gray/red MKs leading the charge up the hill. The helpers weren't bad either. They folks at Martin must have done some early spring cleaning.

I hope to post a few shots on TO in the next day or so. Hey, I only have 277 images to sort through from Friday's chase up and down the hill . . . hah!

James Belmont
Salt Lake City, UT

Date: 03/10/12 19:22
Author: ironmtn

Terrific series, both parts. Thanks for posting these outstanding images.

Date: 03/11/12 13:45
Author: jkh2cpu

Thanks for these sets, Dick. The Utah has always interested me, but it is a long way from Michigan to that part of the country. You really have some nice shots posted here.

John.

Date: 03/13/12 19:03
Author: MP90

Very nice report Dick. Thanks!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0551 seconds