Home Open Account Help 311 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Grand Canyon Railway questions

Date: 06/21/12 14:57
Grand Canyon Railway questions
Author: EastKSRailfan

Several weeks ago (mid-June) I photographed the Grand Canyon Railway as it returned to Williams in the late afternoon. Locomotives 237 and 295 were in charge. I did not copy down the locomotive type, but my slide makes it look as if they were FP40PH?

I also photographed an idle train set at Rodeo Road crossing with 3 handsome dark green locomotives numbered 6773, 6871, and 6776. Do I correctly assume this is an extra train set that runs at the height of the tourist season? Are these Alcos? There appeared to be a third train set (closer to the station) with passenger cars similar in color to the set I caught. I could not tell if there was another set of locomotives.

Can I assume that the GCR is successful? The train (it was Sunday) that I saw appeared to be full. I could hear on the scanner that they dispatch the train with track warrants. Is it train 3 in both directions? Thanks.

Carl Graves, Lawrence, KS

Date: 06/21/12 15:52
Re: Grand Canyon Railway questions
Author: miralomarail

Yes those are ex Amtrak F40Ph units, the Green units you saw are Alco Passenger units that I recall came from Canada

Date: 06/21/12 16:15
Author: rehunn

Ex-CN, ex-VIA units built by MLW (Alco - Canadian licensee)

Date: 06/21/12 16:34
Author: Arkeytek

Their web site - while in need of some updating - has a list of their equipment and their history.

http://www.thetrain.com/Locomotives-&-Passenger-Cars-5685.html

Date: 06/21/12 17:18
Author: ACR_Ted

The Alco (actually MLW) FPA4 and FPB4 units are for sale.

Want one?? :)

Ted

Date: 06/21/12 17:25
Author: rehunn

They would be a decent buy considering they're "modern" compared with
their Alco FA brothers ie 251 power vs the 244 and updated electrics
and controls.

Date: 06/21/12 17:28
Author: gman1

when I rode the GCRy a couple years ago the F-40's were still pretty new to them and they really liked them. Lots of power compaired to the FA's. 3000hp vs. about 1800 or so on the Alco's

Date: 06/21/12 17:46
Author: ACR_Ted

Also the F40's have dynamic brakes, a larger cab and much better parts availability.

Ted

Date: 06/21/12 18:19
Author: jmw

237 and 295 are designated F40FH's by the GCRY.

JMW
http://waidephoto.smugmug.com/Trains

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0386 seconds