Home Open Account Help 371 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP844 West From Cheyenne

Date: 09/20/12 21:44
UP844 West From Cheyenne
Author: mojaveflyer

I realized yesterday morning that UP 844 was heading west from Cheyenne this morning for a trip to California so a friend and I hastily organized a trip to Wyoming to shoot it. We first caught it leaving Cheyenne about 40 minutes late, with a plethora of Railfan Paparazzi at the west end of the UP's Cheyenne Yard. We caught him in Laramie and then headed west along UP 30. Neither of us had been on that stretch of road for many years so we just followed it to see what looked good to us. We finally settled on the depot at Medicine Bow where the 844 was scheduled to make a short stop for maintenance. As he departed Medicine Bow, an eastbound manifest train came through town.

Photo #1- UP 844 departs Cheyenne with the on lookers...

Photo #2- Parked across the grade crossing in Medicine Bow, the crew did their mechanical checks and climbed back on board to depart... The white building to the left in with the red roof is the old depot, moved away from the tracks and fenced off from the mainline.

Photo #3- UP 7626 comes across the grade crossing as 844 departs Medicine Box. The fall colors were very much in evidence as we followed the train west.

Two more in Part II.

Date: 09/20/12 21:47
UP844 West From Cheyenne Part II

In the last two photos, UP 844 climbs out of the valley Rawlins is in, putting on a great show.

Thanks for looking!

Date: 09/20/12 23:21
Re: UP844 West From Cheyenne Part II
Author: oilcan

Great shots, and thank you for sharing them... but do they really need three diesels? Or will those be part of the display in Sacramento?

Date: 09/21/12 01:46
Author: The_Chief_Way

what's with the one coach they've been carrying up amongst the rest of the steam train cars...someplace
for the Friends of the UP 844 to ride in?

Date: 09/21/12 06:22
Author: ddkid

oilcan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great shots, and thank you for sharing them... but
> do they really need three diesels? Or will those
> be part of the display in Sacramento?

They must be planning to need a lot of dynamic braking!

Date: 09/21/12 07:20
Author: SilverPeakRail

Too bad the power car ended up right in front of the dome!

Date: 09/21/12 08:02

SilverPeakRail Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Too bad the power car ended up right in front of
> the dome!

My friend and I noticed that... It sort of defeats the purpose of the seats in the dome.

Date: 09/21/12 10:00
Author: railtime

Railfan Paparazzi, gotta love it.
Nice set of shots.... ty.

Date: 09/21/12 10:24
Re: UP844 West From Cheyenne
Author: Bob3985

Great photos, especially the Medicine Bow shot. They still have their depot and the old Virginian hotel. I got a video of us eastbound there one Memorial day and went up to their cemetery and videoed 3985 with all the graves decorated with flags. Gee, I belong in the Nostalgia and History section as I can remember our trips without diesels.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 09/21/12 21:55
Author: NH2006

Glad someone got it!

Date: 09/22/12 19:08
Author: upkpfan

There at Medicine Bow Museum, they have the most uncommon dozer cable rigging arrangement on a D6 that I have ever seen. upkpgfan

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0611 seconds