Home Open Account Help 377 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > What's the grade at Cabazon?

Date: 11/04/12 21:47
What's the grade at Cabazon?
Author: spdaylight

Would appreciate if someone could tell me the % grade at Cabazon, CA when it comes up the grade along side the Cabazon Premium outlets.

Thanks in advance

Craig

Date: 11/04/12 22:02
Re: What's the grade at Cabazon?
Author: EMDX90

I believe its 1.8%, someone please correct me if I'm wrong

Date: 11/05/12 00:10
Author: mapboy

EMDX90 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I believe its 1.8%, someone please correct me if
> I'm wrong

1.90% from west of Cabazon Xovers to Morongo Trail, the exit for the outlet stores, then 1.80% from Morongo Trail to CP Robertson. The steepest mile is 1.95% from Hwy. 111 overpass (MP 580.54) going west and 1.95% between Garnet and West Palm Springs (MP 584.6 to MP 585.6).

mapboy

Date: 11/05/12 10:09
Author: railstiesballast

That steepest grade is also known as "Windy Point", the very common winds coming down the pass from Beaumont can bog down a train, especially a long string of empties that show an OK HP per ton ratio that on a calm day would be a walk up the hill.

Date: 11/05/12 15:36
Author: UPNW2-1083

railstiesballast Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That steepest grade is also known as "Windy
> Point", the very common winds coming down the pass
> from Beaumont can bog down a train, especially a
> long string of empties that show an OK HP per ton
> ratio that on a calm day would be a walk up the
> hill.

Auto racks are the worst. They act like a huge sail and catch the wind. You can feel the train bog down as you come around the curve there and the wind is blowing (which is most of the time).

I was working the helpers one day when the winds were at their worst and had to couple into the head end of an auto train due to another westbound behind them. We almost never got it rolling up the hill with the train all stretched out going up grade. If we had been able to couple into the rear of the train we would have gotten enough slack bunched up for the head end power to get rolling and pull the hill.-BMT

Date: 11/05/12 19:35
Author: spdaylight

Thanks for all the responses . . . and interesting sidebar to boot!!

Craig

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.038 seconds