Home Open Account Help 181 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Tips for a First Time Quick Visit to Tehachapi?

Date: 11/05/12 08:10
Tips for a First Time Quick Visit to Tehachapi?
Author: DPM

Hello everyone,

I'll have the chance to drive from Mojave to Bakersfield for the first time this month and would like to see Tehachapi Loop. Unfortunately, I won't have a lot of time to spend there - perhaps only half a day or so - and was hoping for some tips on the best way to get a feel for the area without much time to explore.

I read through many of the past posts about Tehachapi and looked at some maps, but I couldn't tell for sure what is accessible near the loop these days and which areas to avoid. So with limited time, what are the best places to stop for a look?

My primary interest is signaling, so I'd also like to see some of the ex-SP searchlights on the line before they are replaced. It looks like searchlights remain at the crossovers in downtown Tehachapi; are there any other easily accessible searchlights on the Mojave to Bakersfield stretch?

Thank you,
Dave

Date: 11/05/12 08:41
Re: Tips for a First Time Quick Visit to Tehachapi?
Author: a737flyer

If you get off the highway at the sign for the Loop...a California "interest" sign, and follow it up the hill. In about two miles you will come to an overlook from which you can see the entire loop. You will recognize it from the large pull-off on both sides of the road. You can continue east on that road to get up to the town, or go back down to join the highway. Great spot.

Date: 11/05/12 09:29
Author: fbe

Take the road down to Caliente and drive up to Tunnel 2 (Bealville) for the classic snakey train photo. Afternoon light there is just luscious. You can find the loop view but climb the low hillside on the south side of the road. You want to be really wide there 24mm or so if you can on full frame, 16mm-18mm in cropped mode. Tehachape has nice lodgings and the Apple Shed(?) on the east end of town serves nice meals.

Once you drive the road a couple of times it works pretty well. Walong, where the upper loop crosses over the lower track is off limits....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/12 09:37 by fbe.

Date: 11/05/12 12:49
Author: mapboy

Follow the rails on Hwy. 58 west out of Mojave. Exit at Sand Canyon Rd., follow the rails thru Monolith and Summit to Tehachapi. Check out the signal collection at the Tehachapi Depot Museum, have lunch trackside. Take Tehachapi Blvd. to 58 west, follow the tracks, exit at Keene. Follow the road back under the freeway alongside Woodford Siding, view The Loop from below from the road, continue to the roadside Loop plaque. Back to 58 west when you've seen enough, turn right at Bealville Rd. (sign says "Caliente"), down to the tracks. Look up to the right to see Tunnel 5 at Cliff. Continue down the Bealville Road to Caliente, check out the many angles. Return to make a right on Caliente Bodfish Road before passing under the tracks again. More angles for shots along here. When you see Tunnel 2, refer to fbe's reply above. When done, continue on to the T-intersection, right on Bena Road. It will return you to the tracks by Ilmon. Continue following the tracks to Bena (two tracks from here to Bakersfield), thru Sandcut, Edison, Magunden (SJVR Arvin Sub), Quantico (Bakersfield Yard), Kern Jct. (BNSF splits off here) and a right turn to see what's left of UP's Bakersfield engine facility.

If you want to see Amtrak Bakersfield, left on Beale Ave., right on Truxtun Ave. to the station at S Street. West to Q Street to cross under the BNSF tracks (the grade xings are often blocked by freights), right on California Ave. Right on A Street for a good view of BNSF yard, usually lots of power and trains around. A return to California Ave. west will take you to Hwy. 99 to get out of Bakersfield.

mapboy

Date: 11/05/12 19:25
Author: fredkharrison

You might do well to avoid Bakersfield if your time is limited. Print some maps off Mapquest in aerial view so you can familiarize yourself with the Tehachapi area. There are some road closures, so stay to the major roads. Take a few minutes to check out the yard in Mojave too. I found wearing a BNSF cap won me some waves from the BNSF crews.

Posted from Android

Fred Harrison
Central Point, OR
CORPpower/JSS/EORS

Date: 11/05/12 23:00
Author: ProAmtrak

Well someone already gave you info on where to go, so all I can say is have fun!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0446 seconds