Home Open Account Help 275 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Weekend musings in Topeka

Date: 11/11/12 13:11
Weekend musings in Topeka
Author: nikon1

While out and about on Saturday, I was fornunate enough to catch the L MKCKEMP switching the BNSF yard in Topeka. The train had 4 units for power with the last unit 1691 with an completely new end on the long hood which was unprimered. The Unit was off line or DIT. On Sunday, I was able to catch a westbound O train deadheading to points unknown. Power was 5414 with Glorieta Pass, Marias Pass, Red River, Lake Superior, Bay View and Glacier View bringing up the end.
Charlie
MP 53 on the BNSF Topeka Sub

Photo 1)The L MKCKEMP at 10th St in Topeka with 6771 on the point
Photo 2)BNSF 1691 rounding out the motive power consist
Photo 3)BNSF 5414 has an westbound O train in tow at Pauline

Date: 11/11/12 15:41
Re: Weekend musings in Topeka
Author: lynnpowell

I hope that the 1691 is heading for a paint shop! If not, her long hood will be a "rust bucket" in no time!

Date: 11/11/12 17:00
Author: bnsfsd70

lynnpowell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I hope that the 1691 is heading for a paint shop!
> If not, her long hood will be a "rust bucket" in
> no time!

She surely will, and the shops did good work with her. Here she is back on Labor Day outside of the shops. Nice catch/shots Charlie.

- Jeff

Date: 11/12/12 13:55
Author: riffian

Is the MKCKEMP the only regular mainifest (local) to use the Topeka Sub??

Date: 11/12/12 14:11
Author: nikon1

riffian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is the MKCKEMP the only regular mainifest (local)
> to use the Topeka Sub??

No, there is the L MTOPTOP which serves both Tecumseh, Topeka, Pauline, Burlingame and Osage City. And from time to time, there are eastbound locals that handle Topeka, but those trains are the exception and not the rule.
Charlie
MP 53 on the BNSF Topeka Sub

Date: 11/12/12 14:38
Author: riffian

Thanks very much. Is the MTOPTOP the same job which works the yard and does the interchange with the UP in North Topeka? Last question, I promise.

Date: 11/12/12 15:12
Author: Milw_E70

The R KAN0051 is the road switcher based in Topeka that works Frito Lay, Scranton, Tecumseh, and Osage City while the R KAN0041, based in Lawrence, is the road switcher that works Lawrence and DeSoto. Topeka also has a daylight switch engine that works around the yard and the UP interchange. They use the same power as the R KAN0051. All these jobs work Monday through Friday with weekends off.

The M EMPKCK (opposite side of the M KCKEMP) occasionally runs east through Topeka when needed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/12 15:13 by Milw_E70.

Date: 11/12/12 22:03
Author: MP555

BNSF 1691 is headed for MAC for paint.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/12 22:04 by MP555.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0358 seconds