Home Open Account Help 306 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Depot Friday: Brunswick, MO

Date: 11/16/12 11:47
Depot Friday: Brunswick, MO
Author: santafe199

My intrigue with Wabash history was heightened with my first glimpse of Brunswick, MO on the Kansas City extension of the NS (former N&W, nee Wabash) mainline.
There are many interesting shooting angles in the Brusnwick area. I will be back at my earliest opportunity! There is also a depot there which has obviously been
reworked, with new siding, a new roof & foundation. But it's still there!

Unfortunately this cannot be said for a disheartening & growing number of communities in this land.

1. & 2. The former Wabash depot in Brunswick, MO on November 4, 2012.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/12 11:51 by santafe199.

Date: 11/16/12 11:49
Re: Depot Friday: Brunswick, MO
Author: santafe199

By the way, I found another attention grabbing scene while in Brunswick. When's the last time you paid this price for gas?
Just a faint memory...

3. Citgo gas sign on W Broadway St.

4. Unfortunately, the place has been closed for a few moons...
(all photos taken November 4, 2012)

Thanks for looking!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Date: 11/16/12 12:15
Author: jerryheng

I'm surprised that sign has held up so well. Looks like several blue moons since that Citgo closed :) - Jerry

santafe199 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> By the way, I found another attention grabbing
> scene while in Brunswick. When's the last time you
> paid this price for gas?

Date: 11/16/12 16:18
Author: bnsf7512

Very well done shot's looks like a great place to visit.

Date: 11/16/12 18:53
Author: JoCoLB

The gasoline prices predate the 911 terrorist attack on our nation.

Date: 11/16/12 19:49
Author: wister6813

santafe199 Wrote:
> When's the last time you paid this price for gas?

Since you asked...I paid this price on 12/26/01. A few days later I filled the tank at $0.979.

Date: 11/16/12 23:14
Author: trainpixsnet

I hate to be the barer of bad news, this is not the original Wabash depot in Brunswick. I know this personally, as my grandfather was the engineer of an ill-fated train with an over-weight car (per my grandfather's account the car was almost three-times over the car's rated max weight) broke one of the bolster pins and derailed into the depot, causing major damage, but luckily, no injuries.

At first, they were going to throw the book at my grandfather and his conductor, but when they found the overweight car, they realized the cause of the derailment and found no fault of the crew. They rebuilt the depot And about twenty years later, my grandfather retired from the Norfolk Southern.

Every time I travel past this location, I recall him telling me that story, and I always have to give him a hard time when I see him an hour later, and I'll ask him to retell the story, and I'll remind him that the "new" depot is still there.

Nathan Chidester
Olathe, KS
The TrainPixs Network

Date: 11/17/12 09:13
Author: UPTRAIN

thtinc41ed Wrote:
> The gasoline prices predate the 911 terrorist
> attack on our nation.

In Missouri gas was down to this price in the last week of November/first of December in 2008, so it is VERY possible that this place has only been shuttered for 4 years.

Pump

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0512 seconds