Home Open Account Help 268 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Ever get nervous re: your safety when in remote locales

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 11/19/12 17:14
Ever get nervous re: your safety when in remote locales
Author: spdaylight

I just finished editing a new DVD and it occurred to me that I shot some scenes in a few remote places where I would park my car off the side of the road and walk quite a distance and/or cross the tracks to get the right sun angle etc. You are pretty susceptible to any nefarious characters that might show up. Just curious with the increasing rate of violence in these recent years if anyone shares this concern.

Craig
http://mcmrailvideos.com/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/12 17:14 by spdaylight.

Date: 11/19/12 17:32
Re: Ever get nervous re: your safety when in remote loc
Author: TCnR

Remote places in Urban areas or remote places out there nowhere?

Looking back I had a number of odd events in what is now known to be 'grow' sites.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/12 17:34 by TCnR.

Date: 11/19/12 17:35
Author: SoldierSummitRailfan

I usually carry a firearm so in answer to your question...no...but that does not mean i am not careful about where i go

Date: 11/19/12 17:46
Author: 2ebright

H-ll no I don't feel nervous or worried about my safety. I live in a remote and very thinly populated area of eastern Utah. A lot of folks don't ever lock their homes or cars here. I have railfanned a lot in Salt Lake City and never feel unsafe anywhere there. Now, maybe if I lived in a big city in California or east coast, then maybe I would avoid some areas. The whole country is not as crime ridden as big cities.

Dick
Roosevelt, Utah

Date: 11/19/12 18:19
Author: Lackawanna484

2ebright Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> H-ll no I don't feel nervous or worried about my
> safety. I live in a remote and very thinly
> populated area of eastern Utah. A lot of folks
> don't ever lock their homes or cars here. I have
> railfanned a lot in Salt Lake City and never feel
> unsafe anywhere there. Now, maybe if I lived in a
> big city in California or east coast, then maybe I
> would avoid some areas. The whole country is not
> as crime ridden as big cities.
>
> Dick
> Roosevelt, Utah

or any of the northern woods in California. The meth heads and weed farms tend to be well protected with "shoot first, ask questions later" folks. Wasn't there something with the Skunk Train last year after two deputies were killed by an independent weed farmer...

Date: 11/19/12 18:28
Author: pdt

No.

Date: 11/19/12 18:33
Author: needles_sub

I came into this world exactly when I was supposed to, and I will leave this world exactly when I'm supposed to, whether that be at the hands of another, accident, or a quite death sleeping my own bed. No, I don't worry or get nervous.

Date: 11/19/12 18:49
Author: WrongWayMurphy

My answer was no until I watched the movie No Country for Old Men

Date: 11/19/12 18:56
Author: spdaylight

SoldierSummitRailfan Wrote:
> I usually carry a firearm so in answer to your
> question...no...but that does not mean i am not
> careful about where i go

Being from Canada, very tough to get a permit and even if I was successful, you can't take it across the border without being arrested . . . but thanks guys for the re-assuring replies.

Craig

Date: 11/19/12 19:00
Author: CPRR

The former mayor of Fort Bragg was killed inspecting forest land near the Skunk RR. The guard of the pot farm was eventually shot. It took a lot of man power to do it.

I have been in areas when I was young and stupid that I should have not been in here in Los Angeles. All to watch a train go by.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/19/12 19:20
Author: mojaveflyer

After retiring after nearly 40 years of police work, I still retain a healthy dose of 'police paranoia' that I employ in some neighborhoods. I walked rail yards alone as a special agent for 18 years and learned the meaning of 'one man felony car'. With all of that said, sometimes discretion is the better part of valor... As for visiting places where there's little civilization, you still need to evaluate the environment in terms of animals, terrain, and weather as to whether it's safe to wander off.

Date: 11/19/12 19:27
Author: erielackawanna

In a word, yes. Not just from random bad guys, but random bad animals too.

Date: 11/19/12 19:32
Author: miralomarail

I used to Railfan with a Buddy in Indiana, and he carried a Pistol, because if it meant Killing a Snake he was ready, Vs being bit by a Rattler

Date: 11/19/12 19:52
Author: wa4umr

There are a few places where I used to go several years ago. The weeds have taken over, couches and chairs have been brought in, tarp shelters have been built, fire pits established, and lots of litter. I don't go to these places anymore. I figure that the residents are probably just some of our homeless folks but some of them are mentally unstable and I would rather not confront them on their ground when I'm alone with an expensive camera hanging around my neck. There are some interesting industrial areas served by rail in my city but most of them are in the zip code with the highest crime and murder rate in the city, probably the entire state. I just play it safe and avoid these areas.

John

Date: 11/19/12 20:18
Author: Q4960

Several years ago a friend and I hiked almost a mile to the Arkansas & Missouri south portal at Winslow, Arkansas to get a shot of the passenger train coming through the tunnel. As we are waiting a huge [as big as I've seen] pit bull came out of the bushes pulling a broken log chain with him barking all the time that he has us in his sights. After about a minute he turned and went back the same way the he came. As I have thought back over this experience about the only thing that we had to protect ourselves was a camera tripod! I've also thought about the other critters that would have been in that area - black bear, a variety of cats, rattlers, etc.

Roger Holmes

Date: 11/19/12 20:29
Author: kdrtrains

At one time, we spent many nights at Shawmutt, just east of Gila Bend, Az. It is near the drug corridor and I would not go there now with out defensive equipment and we do not stay over night. I guess I have it all the time now.

Sigh

Ken Rhoads

Date: 11/19/12 20:30
Author: Out_Of_Service

i grew up around the city of crime that had been and is presently labeled the No. 1 city of crime in the nation and held that title for quite a few consecutive years and came in 2nd to Detroit for a cpl years but low and behold it's back on the top of crime stats ... i visit this urbanite concrete jungle every now then ... i'm never scared but i'm always aware of my surroundings and ready for anything which i expect but luckily hasn't happened yet ... knock on wood ... i get bothered more by the NS railroad dicks on public property more so than anyone else

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/12 20:31 by Out_Of_Service.

Date: 11/19/12 20:41
Author: zephyrus

Been far more nervous about animals than people in the places I've gone. I'm a fairly big guy so unless someone is armed they tend to leave me alone. Even been in West Oakland and Bayview about 2-3 AM and never really felt nervous about people. (Of course, I was armed the times I've been in the Bayview (San Francisco) that late.)

The one time a human really made me nervous was hiking the old South Pacific Coast over the Santa Cruz Mountains. A local "farmer" very nicely waved my friends and I off our hike with a double barrel and a pair of rottweilers. He was very nice and civil about it, but that didn't soothe me one bit considered he had a loaded shotgun leveled on us the whole time.

I have had more trouble with "You're too close to MY LAND!" types than nefarious types.

Z

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/12 20:42 by zephyrus.

Date: 11/19/12 20:45
Author: CarolVoss

zephyrus Wrote:
> Been far more nervous about animals than people in
> the places I've gone. I'm a fairly big guy so
> unless someone is armed they tend to leave me
> alone. Even been in West Oakland and Bayview
> about 2-3 AM and never really felt nervous about
> people. (Of course, I was armed the times I've
> been in the Bayview (San Francisco) that late.)
>
> The one time a human really made me nervous was
> hiking the old South Pacific Coast over the Santa
> Cruz Mountains. A local "farmer" very nicely
> waved my friends and I off our hike with a double
> barrel and a pair of rottweilers. He was very
> nice and civil about it, but that didn't soothe me
> one bit considered he had a loaded shotgun leveled
> on us the whole time.
>
> I have had more trouble with "You're too close to
> MY LAND!" types than nefarious types.
>
> Z

Yep,here in the coastal areas of California there are growers of crops who don't want you anywhere near them
Our biggest cash crop-----------and they don't want you messing around with them. :-)
C.

Carol Voss
Bakersfield, CA

Date: 11/19/12 21:00
Author: DPKrause

I was always more worried about my pickup getting broken into or stolen than I ever was about my personal safety.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0648 seconds