Home Open Account Help 326 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Sunset at Sloan, NV

Date: 11/21/12 22:40
Sunset at Sloan, NV
Author: SoCalRailFan

I'm in Vegas for a few days and went up Sloan Mtn tonight with another TO member to shoot the Vegas skyline. We got lucky and caught a westbound coal train. We called it the stealth train because it was so dark. With a little photoshop and camera magic (a three shot HDR shot manually blended) I got this shot along with the Vegas skyline shot.

Dave Toussaint
Riverside, CA
SoCalRailFan.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/12 23:42 by SoCalRailFan.

Date: 11/22/12 01:32
Re: Sunset at Sloan, NV
Author: cchan006

Very awesome!

I have gone up Sloan Mtn. when I rented a Jeep few years ago. Trickier with a car (2WD).

Date: 11/22/12 07:58
Author: ns1000

NIIIICE pics!!!!

Date: 11/22/12 09:20
Author: coaststarlight99

Nice pics of my favorite town!

Date: 11/22/12 09:20
Author: tomstp

I am continually amazed at the low light ability of todays cameras.

Date: 11/22/12 21:10
Author: tinytrains

That was an amazing sunset that night. I was up the LV version of the Eiffel Tower at sunset. Top photo, shot with an iPhone, RR tracks to the right in the dark of course.

I took my real camera and went south to Erie for 2 and half hours Tuesday morning while my wife was at the spa. Saw nothing. I was waiting for the only train moving, and it stopped in LV to do a set-out/pick-up. Bottom picture was the action for the day.

Scott

Scott Schifer
Torrance, CA
TinyTrains Website

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/12 21:56 by tinytrains.

Date: 11/22/12 22:46

The sunset last night seemed to last forever. 45 minutes after sunset we were still seeing red to the west. I'll never drive that road again up to Sloan Mtn. My neck and shoulders are locked up and I can barely move today. Too much tension on the muscles driving on that road. That road makes the one to Canyon Diablo look like a paved freeway!

Dave Toussaint
Riverside, CA
SoCalRailFan.com

Date: 11/23/12 00:07
Author: CimaScrambler

It this Sloan Mountain? See map at link - location marked with radio tower. Note the quarry off to the left edge of the map.
http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=35.95064,-115.19169&z=15&t=T

Kit Courter
Menefee, CA
LunarLight Photography

Date: 11/23/12 00:38

We were at the radio towers. I was told that's Sloan Mtn.

Dave Toussaint
Riverside, CA
SoCalRailFan.com

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0432 seconds