Home Open Account Help 198 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Just a thought for Thanksgiving

Date: 11/22/12 13:49
Just a thought for Thanksgiving
Author: HogheadMike

Well, I'm sitting here first out, waiting to get called from my away from home terminal in Green River, Wyoming. This is my second Thanksgiving in a row that I have been at my away from home terminal for Thanksgiving, and as much as I would like to be with my family, I am proud of it. Just thought that I would share a picture that I put together to remind people of the real meaning of thanksgiving.......not just "Black Friday." Feel free to use if you want.

Date: 11/22/12 14:01
Re: Just a thought for Thanksgiving
Author: SP8100

HogheadMike Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, I'm sitting here first out, waiting to get
> called from my away from home terminal in Green
> River, Wyoming. This is my second Thanksgiving in
> a row that I have been at my away from home
> terminal for Thanksgiving, and as much as I would
> like to be with my family, I am proud of it. Just
> thought that I would share a picture that I put
> together to remind people of the real meaning of
> thanksgiving.......not just "Black Friday." Feel
> free to use if you want.

Mike,

I give thanks to family, friends and all the people who deal with transportation of all goods are country uses..

SP8100

Date: 11/22/12 15:16
Author: 462pacific

Well said and I never forget as I worked for the
Postal Service for 39 years and also missed more than a few
meaningful holidays. THANK YOU !

Date: 11/23/12 16:58
Author: atsf98

Thank You and everyone else who had to miss Thanksgiving Dinner due to work. and Thanks to all the kids in Asian sweatshops working on Thanksgiving that make the products that Americans so covet these days. Thank you for reminding us that there is always a human cost involved in making the "machine" run we should never take it for granted. After being a Chef for 18 years and missing just about every family event from my kids first steps to weddings and funerals I will never take any meal that I get to eat sitting down for granted,but I have to say I still love my job.
D

Date: 11/24/12 06:12
Thanksgiving thoughts
Author: Bob3985

Thanks for the reminder and great thoughts Mike. I can remember all the times I was gone from home in my 31 years of railroading. A notable one was when we were returning from Kingsport, TN after running the Clinchfield Santa train with the 3985 Challenger. We were on a layover in Huntington, WV. The shop forces told Us we wouldn't be able to access the equipment over the holiday of Thurs/Friday as the facility would be locked up. Our plan was to fix dinner for ourselves on the business car. Larry, a volunteer from Sundance Mktg was to be our cook with Mary assisting. Harold, retired UP from North Platte was the wine steward. Steve told the shop forces that we would be going in for our dinner. They reminded him of the locked fences at the facility whereupon he told them of the UP magic key, cutting torches. So they gave us an access card to get in through the gate.
That day while the gang was preparing a fine feast, Steve gathered Lynn and I for some work. He pointed at me and said get on the loco, so I climbed up on the CSX SD50 and started it up. We proceeded to switch out the CSX blue cars and make up our UP train for departure the next morning. After that was completed we were walking back to the business car when Harold took a shot of the three of us walking side by side with his old 2 1/4 by 2 1/4 camera. I posted it on here some time back as the Three Amigos.
Well, our holiday work was completed and the aroma from the business car was superb. I fine dinner was had and after we relaxed as Lynn decorated the back of the business car for Christmas, which is a whole other story in itself.
Happy Holidays all from the east side of Cheyenne where I can watch the three track main from my living room. Retirement has some advantages.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0544 seconds