Home Open Account Help 316 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Locomotive operating temperatures?

Date: 11/25/12 19:42
Locomotive operating temperatures?
Author: Narniaman

Could one of you smart guys tell me what the typical diesel engine operating temperature is -- for both the cooling system and the oil system?

I suspect it varies considerably, but what temperature does the engine start automatically de-rating?

Thanks!!

Date: 11/25/12 19:51
Re: Locomotive operating temperatures?
Author: kodachrome9319

I've always seen it between 160 and 190 degrees, but usually around 170.

Date: 11/25/12 20:52
Author: wlj619

Centigrade or Farenheit?

Date: 11/25/12 21:42
Author: john1082

F

John Gezelius
Tustin, CA

Date: 11/25/12 23:59
Author: CasperLine

The one I'm currently parked on is staying at an oil temp of 200F, water temp is 197F, RPM is 334 and even parked in idle it is putting out 30 HP

Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/26/12 01:56
Author: mmciau

I'd imagine the coolant and oil temperatures in Australia's North West Iron Ore Regions would be 'high'. Ambient temperatures in that region during some seasons are well over 100F.

Mike

Michael McInerney
Marion, South Australia,

Date: 11/26/12 04:32
Author: SanJoaquinEngr

Narniaman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Could one of you smart guys tell me what the
> typical diesel engine operating temperature is --
> for both the cooling system and the oil system?
>
> I suspect it varies considerably, but what
> temperature does the engine start automatically
> de-rating?
>
> Thanks!!

Me thinks the derating starts around 210 F. the oil used in the crankcase used to be straight 40 weight... I remember an SD-45 held around 150 gallons of oil... will l@2k through my old operator s manuals and see the other stats..

Date: 11/26/12 09:48
Author: Narniaman

Thanks, all.

I'm working on a project now that involves engine cooling systems -- not on locomotives, though. Typically Diesel truck engines start de-rating at around 220 deg F.

Aircraft piston engines which are air-cooled have cylinder head temperatures of anywhere from 350 to 500 deg F. They do have separate oil coolers to keep the oil at around 200 - 220 F.

Date: 11/26/12 14:18
Author: rdmstr

On the trucks I have driven , over the years, The coolant temp is usually around 185 degrees f, Normal highway running oil temp will be around 200 degrees F, The newer trucks will derate at 220-230 range. The older Cat engines would crack a head at 210 degrees, if held there for about 5-10 min. Cummings eng crack heads at 220-235
degrees. Detroit, never had one hot enough to find out. They will shell out at about 3000 rpm. No I didn't do that
but some guy coming down Monarch did.
One other thing on oil temps I have seen them right at the red line, about 280-300 degrees. with no apparent damage.
One of the things I watch real close is the temp gauges when climbing a hill. keith

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0309 seconds