Home Open Account Help 357 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > That golden sunlight on overdrive!

Date: 11/27/12 16:11
That golden sunlight on overdrive!
Author: santafe199

I've never been afraid to point my lens in any direction at any time. I certainly don't always get great results, but in this digital/photoshop era I'm
learning how to use some wonderful tools that will let a person accomplish really neat things. Like rescuing hopelessly over-exposed images. I know, I'm
YEARS behind a lot of you TO photographers. Especially you younger tots who grew up with computers. (Anybody know what a slide-rule is?) But I'll bet you
were just as enthralled as I am now when you took your first pictures!

Back in the ancient Kodachrome days shots like these would very likely have been 'throw-aways'. Short of rescue work in an expensive professional lab, a
badly over-exposed slide usually ended up in file #13. This entire sequence came out of the camera with dark lined detail in the blazing, but pale golden
sunlight. Some heavy contrast enhancement work here seems to have produced an acceptable result, but there was a temptation to play with some artsy ideas.
The best part is I get as many 'do-overs' as I want. Welcome to the digital age, indeed...

1. BNSF 7489 with double stacks coming literally out of the sun just west of the Carrollton depot.

2. The side of the train bathing in the same light.

3. The DP unit (BNSF 6605) claiming time in the sun as well.
(3 photos taken November 24, 2012 in Carrollton, MO)

Thanks for listening!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Date: 11/27/12 17:49
Re: That golden sunlight on overdrive!
Author: DynamicBrake

Lance, thanks for my birthday present (11/24/46). Very nice glint shots.

Kent in Carmel Valley

Date: 11/27/12 19:32
Author: santafe199

DynamicBrake Wrote:

> Lance, thanks for my birthday present (11/24/46).
> Very nice glint shots.
>
> Kent in Carmel Valley

Well now, happy (belated) birthday! Lucas (mg8711) & I had a pretty good day. I still have a killer sunset scene, also at Carrollton to post (probably tomorrow).
I'll try to remember this next year so I can go shoot something special. I shouldn't have much trouble remembering... my father's birthday was November 26!

Lance

Date: 11/27/12 19:57
Author: BNSF-6432

I can remember shooting film at 3 years old up to about 6 or 7 when i changed to digital. Now I'm messing around with different angles and lighting at 14 years old.
But my major problem shooting nondigital for a while was getting the camera stright and off the ground ;-)
Nice shots by the way!

BNSF-6432
PQM

Date: 11/27/12 20:55
Author: JMorhaus

Awesome light!!!

Date: 11/28/12 05:43
Author: texchief1

I like em, Lance.

Randy Lundgren

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0686 seconds