Home Open Account Help 372 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > MK1200G's scrapped?

Date: 12/02/12 01:21
MK1200G's scrapped?
Author: Evan_Werkema

I was digging around for shots of the four BNSF MK1200G's a few days ago when I came across photos on rrpicturearchives.net from September of this year showing BNSF 1200 at Nampa, ID headed for Boise and 1201-1203 at a scrapyard in Anaheim, CA. The units are now 18 years old, and are oddballs to be sure, but can anyone confirm that 1201-1203 were indeed retired and going to scrap? What does the future hold for the 1200? And what is Los Angeles Junction using for motive power these days?

Date: 12/02/12 01:48
Re: MK1200G's scrapped?
Author: MrMRL

Yep, they're days on the LAJ are over. For now the LAJ motive roster is all BNSF locomotives, a few GP60Ms and a pair of 3GS21B-DEs (BNSF 1293, 1294). The three MK1200s at SA Recycling (Adams Steel) in Anaheim, CA are undergoing inspections to see if they can be economically converted to diesel burning "Gensets". If not, then most likely sale to whoever wants them, or scrap.

Mr. MRL

Date: 12/02/12 12:43
Author: rrhistorian

I was under the impression that the price of LNG is very competitive compared to the cost of diesel at the present time? Am I wrong about this?

Is there something about these locomotives that makes them particularly hard to maintain. I know there are at least a few who will be inclined to write they're junk/garbage/crap/PITA. Ok, I get it. But is there a technical reason that has made it hard to sustain the use of LNG for locomotive power?

Thanks!

Date: 12/02/12 13:06
Author: PHall

rrhistorian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was under the impression that the price of LNG
> is very competitive compared to the cost of diesel
> at the present time? Am I wrong about this?
>
> Is there something about these locomotives that
> makes them particularly hard to maintain. I know
> there are at least a few who will be inclined to
> write they're junk/garbage/crap/PITA. Ok, I get
> it. But is there a technical reason that has made
> it hard to sustain the use of LNG for locomotive
> power?
>
> Thanks!

They're "one of a kind" units with expenses "regular" units don't have.

Date: 12/03/12 15:41
Author: Evan_Werkema

Thanks for the additional info. Wonder if SJVR might be interested in them, seeing as how they are buying Cat-engined PR30B's now (albeit diesel-powered).

The 1200 and 1201 were the last new Santa Fe locomotives delivered in blue and yellow warbonnet.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0385 seconds