Home Open Account Help 288 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Camping by the tracks

Date: 12/09/12 22:46
Camping by the tracks
Author: walstib

I'm staying in Emeryville for a few days and I was fortunate enough to score a room at the Hyatt, which has a great view of the UP's Oakland to Sacramento Martinez Sub, also known as the Cal-P line.

Here's a sampling of some of the trains I saw from the ninth floor this morning.

In the first shot, UP business cars Stanford and Sunset slip back into town about 7:30 this morning. They went up to Roseville one morning last week. These former SP cars looked better wearing Espee's silver and red scheme, but I was still happy to see them today.

In the second shot, a UP freight cruises past the Emeryville Amtrak depot while a southbound Capitol Corridor train picks up passengers.

And in the third shot, a light engine movement heads toward Oakland.

I was expecting to see the UP 2001 Winter Olympics unit head east through Emeryville this morning, thus breaking my recent heritage unit jinx. Alas, it was not to be -- apparently the 2001 slipped through between 8:30 and 8:50 while I was downstairs having breakfast. Go figure.

Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings!

Thanks for looking.

Date: 12/09/12 22:59
Re: Camping by the tracks
Author: coach

Imagine seeing that set of engines in the last photo pull a train from Oakland to Roseville? The sound would be fantastic.

Date: 12/10/12 05:32
Author: althewelder

I have always wondered what the view was like from that hotel. Thanks for sharing those pictures and great catch of the four geep 15's.

AL Bayer

Date: 12/10/12 06:28
Author: WrongWayMurphy

Looks like a nice place to have a camp out. Just don't start a campfire.

Date: 12/10/12 07:07
Author: gman1

roughing it is a hotel without room service!!!!

Date: 12/10/12 13:08
Author: ble692

The light power move was the EOZOZ. They run it every Sunday morning. It collects up all the 4 axle units at Ozol and brings them to Oakland for service, and then brings them back to Ozol once they are done with them at the Oakland diesel shop.

Date: 12/10/12 16:05
Author: neilgross

I should be in shot #3, standing on the tower of the pedestrian overpass in the lefthand corner, but the fencing around the overpass obscures me. It's good to see a clear shot of the EOZOZ. I tested out the video on my new DSLR when I shot the EOZOZ and it didn't turn out so hot.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.042 seconds