Home Open Account Help 297 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Santa Fe Song

Date: 02/22/01 12:05
Santa Fe Song
Author: Rathole

Several years ago, I'm not sure of the exact year, a Santa Fe employee recorded a song about the Santa Fe, probably called "Santa Fe All The Way" but again, I'm just guessing. He sounded a lot like Johnny Cash, and I believe in fact, his name was John. Does anyone have a copy of this they would like to sell, or at least make me a cassette copy (or better yet, CD copy)?

Date: 02/22/01 12:08
RE: Santa Fe Song
Author: uprreng

I believe it was called; "Santa Fe..your BN wiped out..."..;)

Date: 02/22/01 14:51
Author: chilli

Lee Greenwood, of "God Bless The USA" fame (?)(!) was commissioned by the ATSF about 1994 to sing the lyrics that had been penned by an ATSF manager whose name escapes me now. This was after the merger was announced, and they wanted to create something truly ATSF to keep in everyone's mind. We at the SOC in Schaumburg got to have lunch out at the fancy horsetrack in Palatine / Rolling Meadows IL in 1995 to hear it played and also see the video that was produced to go along with the song. We got a casette of the song at that time, and I believe shortly before Christmas in 1995 we got our own copies of the video.

Later, the video was redone, with BN/ATSF footage, and the lyrics changed to "the BN-Santa Fe...." Not anywhere as special as the first version.

Date: 02/22/01 15:34
Author: santafevern

The song "SANTA FE ALL THE WAY" was wrote by a locomotive engineer by the name of John Mccullum. He lives in Ft Madison, Ia and retired several years ago. The recording was offered to Santa Fe employees and was on a 45rpm record. I'll look around and see if I can find my copy. John wrote under the name of Johnny Credit, because I ain't got no cash and had several songs recorded in Nashville.

Date: 02/22/01 16:03
Author: gtirr

Santafevern is right. "Santa Fe All the Way" was sung by Johnny McCollum and it is on a CD called "Great American Train Songs"
Volume 2. It was put out by Roundhouse Records, P.O. Box 210-315
Nashville TN 37221-0314.
This CD has 17 other train songs on it and I beleive I bought it from an ad in TRAINS mag.
If you're not able to find this CD, let me know and I'll make you a copy and send it to you. I don't want any money for it as this would be against the law. But I don't think anyone would mind if I gave you a copy.
"Santa Fe all the Way" used to be my "Psyc song" as I drove to work in Battle Creek MI as a train disp.
gtirr

Date: 02/22/01 16:16
Author: Rathole

I certainly appreciate everyone's help. It is one of the all time great railroad songs.

Date: 02/22/01 17:22
Author: traindog

Ahhh, memories. I used to work at the Corwith roundhouse in the late 70's and early 80's. I knew John as one of the best engineers on the Illinois district. Even got to ride with him once on a hot pig train. I remember that song and have a copy of that song on a 45 RPM record. autographed too. It is absolutely one of my prize possessions. even got to hear him sing that song for us in the roundhouse office. I can't ever remember him complaining about his rides. He always would look forward to driving the 199 or 189 trains or other hot pigs out of Corwith.

Date: 02/22/01 21:54
I'll give John a call in the morning.
Author: railscenes

If you would like I'll give John McCollum a call in the morning. Maybe he might have a few spares left from those days. I have the record somewhere around this house after the big move.
Santafevern is corect, John went by the name Johnny Credit. He was the only engineer that was able to sing, compose music, write the lyrics and run the train at the same time. Most composers sit at a piano or musical instrument. John's musical instrument must have been the locomotive and whistle sounds.
Click on my handle and send me your snail mail address. I'll give it to him. Who knows John may even be digital and e-mail connected now.
Inspector Gadget

Date: 02/23/01 09:10
John McCollum
Author: railscenes

Talked to John McCollum this morning. He was going out to chop some more wood to heat his house on the bluff along the Mississippi River this morning. He said his wife let him get a chain saw this last year so he doesn't have to use the old bow saw anymore. So as you might guess he doesn't have a computer and maybe in much better shape than the rest of us without a computer.
John said if you want to send your mailing address he would be glad, for ten bucks, to send you the song as he may have a few extras around. So just click on my name to send me your address off the board if you would like to hear from the man who wrote and sang the song.
John has written many other country and western songs as well as performed them. He isn't famous or rich in $ for it, but like us on this board with trains, it has been a life long love of music.
Inspector Gadget

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0378 seconds