Home Open Account Help 181 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > NS 1066 - NYC Heritage Unit on ICE

Date: 03/06/13 18:04
NS 1066 - NYC Heritage Unit on ICE
Author: GAF1948

I have only caught two of the NS Heritage units, both this week. While 1072 - the Illinois Terminal unit - was on the point over the BNSF into Chicago last Saturday, today's CP/DM&E (formerly IC&E)Train 642 (ethanol) over the former Milwaukee Road from Savanna into Chicago had the 1066 - the NYC unit - trailing.

So, I hiked in through some fresh deep snow to catch this "going away" shot as the train entered Genoa, IL.

Date: 03/06/13 18:34
Re: NS 1066 - NYC Heritage Unit on ICE
Author: SR2

Great photo, thanks for the extra effort required to get that image!

Date: 03/06/13 18:51
Author: bnsfsd70

Going away shot or not, that's a great shot.

- Jeff Carlson

Date: 03/06/13 19:35
Author: ironmtn

George, one of your best ever...and that's saying something. Absolutely classic. For any lightning-stripe fan like me, a wondrous thing to see.

You do great stuff when you hike through heavy snow. (We know a thing or three about that, don't we?) Thanks again for sharing a marvelous image.

Mark

Date: 03/06/13 20:26
Author: Conrail7695

DOES ANY ONE KN OW THE WERE ABOUTS OF THE NS 1066?..WAS TOLD BY MY FRIEND THAT WORKS CPRR THAT 642 WILL GO TO WINSOR,CANADA BUT THAT POWER SHOULD BE CUT OFF AT ELKHART FOR SERVICING?..CAN ANY ONE CONFIRM THIS FOR ME PLEASE?

MICHAEL SHIREY
Three Rivers, MI
NMRA-NCR DIVISION 9

Date: 03/06/13 20:50
Author: DynamicBrake

Superb shot, first time I've seen the 1066...nice looking unit.

Kent in Carmel Valley

Date: 03/06/13 22:37
Author: PasadenaSub

Great shot! Thanks for putting in the effort to get it.

Date: 03/07/13 04:24
Author: junctiontower

Fabulous shot! Just proves the point that despite what Toledopatch says, trail doesn't ALWAYS fail.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/13 04:25 by junctiontower.

Date: 03/07/13 09:46
Author: toledopatch

junctiontower Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Fabulous shot! Just proves the point that despite
> what Toledopatch says, trail doesn't ALWAYS fail.

I'm not persuaded. (Since you brought me into it.)

Now, before everybody gets all hatin' on the negative thought, I'm not saying this is a bad picture. But would it be better if what we saw was the NYC unit leading a train coming the other way? Absolutely. That's the picture I want to get.

Just the other day I "caught" the NS 1065 (S&A) as a third unit on 14N in Toledo. It was the last one that I had yet to see outside of Spencer, NC. But it was trailing, so for my purposes it might as well have not been on the train. If a 34,000-mph meteor falls out of the sky this afternoon and hits that engine while it's idling outside the oil terminal in Reybold, Delaware, my goal of catching all 20 of those leading trains will have failed. (So far, my tally is 18 of 20. Congrats again to RockIsland4310, who classed the class last month and has now taken a vacation that is mostly off-NS.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/13 11:34 by toledopatch.

Date: 03/07/13 12:05
Author: robj

See my post, It is not W VA, point is we have to take what we can get.

Bob

Date: 03/07/13 15:35
Author: ns1000

NIIIICE....!!!

Date: 03/07/13 16:28

robj Wrote:
> See my post, It is not W VA, point is we have to
> take what we can get.
>
> Bob

EXACTLY right! The chance of that unit EVER being on that line again, let alone in the lead is about as likely as I am to hit the lottery. You have to take what is given to you, and it's a GREAT setting. If I had taken that shot, it would be hanging on my wall right now. Patch, you've been spoiled by the luck of geography that brings most of these units to your doorstep, not once, but multiple times, AND you have the Ohio railfan network that seems to let EVERYONE know where they are every moment of every day. For a poor schmuck like me that lives in Fort Wayne, only a handful have EVER made it through here in the daylight, AND trying to get anybody over here to post location updates is like pulling teeth. After a year, I have seen nine total, but only three in revenue service, and only two in the lead. I went from September to February without seeing a single one! It must be nice to get to be so darn PICKY.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/13 16:31 by junctiontower.

Date: 03/07/13 17:35

junctiontower Wrote:
>It must be nice to get to be so darn PICKY.

As I explained before, I responded here because I got called out in this thread (by you) for my philosophy, which I stand by. If it makes somebody happy just to be able to say they've seen the entire fleet -- with or without pictures, leading or otherwise -- that's their business, too.

I concede that these units are rarer in some places than in others, and that on foreign railroads like BNSF or CP, one might have to settle for "trailing unit or nothing." On the other hand, if the UP1996 -- the SP heritage unit -- makes it back* up to northwest Ohio during its current tour of NS, I'm not going to be particularly excited unless it shows up as a leader, and that's even though I've never photographed it or any of the other UP H-units except the MoPac. I'd shoot it anyway, just like I did the S&A unit third out on Tuesday's 14N, but I wouldn't be satisfied, and I certainly wouldn't spend pixels on a worthless nose-coupled rolling roster shot of the sort that just drip all over the Internet. I'd have both of the UP's "Winter Olympics" units in my collection, too, if I hadn't blown one of them off nine years ago because it was trailing and the shot got cloud-f**ked, too. Maybe I'll get that other Winter Olympics engine someday, but if I don't, I'm confident there are hundreds of perfectly good pictures of it out there shot by other people -- not to mention the bad ones. I stand my ground even in regard to locomotives that are a lot rarer in northern Ohio than NS Heritage Units are.

*-UP 1996 came through Toledo late last year on CSX Q132 and Q131 on consecutive nights. Trailing both ways, and at night. Better luck next time.
**-You know what goes here.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/13 18:47 by toledopatch.

Date: 03/07/13 20:56

Fair enough, but I will maintain that a good picture is a good picture, no qualifiers needed. The vast majority of us just can't afford to be so selective, or we wouldn't have much of anything to show for it. I get sick and tired of taking pictures month after month in dreary cloud covered conditions, but I decided long ago that a less than perfect picture is better than no picture at all, especially in the digital age where it doesn't cost a dime to "take a chance". We may not appreciate them now, but some day we will. I personally loathe Norfolk Southern Dash-9 wide cabs, but due to composition and location, some of the best photos I have ever taken feature them.

Date: 03/07/13 21:46
Author: SOO6617

It is being reported thaat the NS power was pulled from the Ethanol train in Chicago and is now heading towards St. Paul, MN on CP# 281.

Date: 03/08/13 04:22

SOO6617 Wrote:
> It is being reported thaat the NS power was pulled
> from the Ethanol train in Chicago and is now
> heading towards St. Paul, MN on CP# 281.

Good luck to everyone in Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Illinois getting the 1066 leading on the way back to Chicago, if that's what happens next. :)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0531 seconds