Home Open Account Help 379 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Falling Down

Date: 03/12/13 20:27
Falling Down
Author: nwkrailfan

We have all been there...a rare train running through your railfanning turf. You know it is a must see and catch, and to make it even better the train is running in daylight. You quickly make plans on how to attack it...but then, as usual with most things on the railroad, something happens to gum up the whole process and your train falls down. In some cases it is a mere hour or two delay, or in the extreme a big time delay. This was experienced by me today, knowing that an eastbound empty autorack train was going to traverse the KP through Ellis, I made plans on how to chase and photograph the train. Unfortunately, a train that should have been in and out through Sharon Springs, didn't get in and out and instead lost three hours. Luckily, I was able to bag the train, with just a hint of daylight left in the sky...but, hey...what can ya do? Just gotta roll with the punches.

1) UP 8781 leads a eastbound ARLARR-12 (Auto-Rolla-Arlington, TX-Repo), down the KP and into the darkness. The train is about halfway between Yocemento and Hays, Kansas.

Thanks for looking!

Date: 03/12/13 20:31
Re: Falling Down
Author: highgreengraphics

Usually best to waste the gas and drive toward the opposing train of interest I have found, because daylight is only so long, and like you say, stuff happens... === === = === JLH

Date: 03/12/13 20:34
Author: Hookdragkick

Vehicle trains are finicky at times. You did good given the low light.

Date: 03/12/13 20:38
Author: trainupaboy

Nice Luke! I wish i could of met up with you and caught it, but i was tied up for the evening. Maybe they will run a couple more? Thanks for posting the shot!!!

Date: 03/13/13 04:12
Author: 494

"i'm passed the point of no return. do you know what that is beth?
that's the point in a journey where it's longer to go back to the beginning than it is to continue to the end..."

D-FENS!

Date: 03/13/13 05:31
Author: oklachaser

Great pic! Been there, done that. That seems to be how it is here in Oklahoma: trying to catch a special or unusual train here always seems to be in the dark or they come through early in the morning.

Thanks for sharing.
Ronda Thomas

Date: 03/13/13 06:16
Author: PRose

Great shot, Luke. Keep up the good work.

Bob H.
PRose

Date: 03/13/13 08:46
Author: Milw_E70

Too bad they didn't run it south out of Abilene to Wichita, that would of been a neat chase down the OKT...

Date: 03/13/13 19:57
Author: upkpfan

Heard it come thru Ellsworth, KS last night after 10 pm. upkpfan

Date: 03/13/13 22:04
Author: rock4310

Nice shot Luke, very close to home!

Date: 03/13/13 22:11
Author: nwkrailfan

Thanks for the comments guys! The shot was really just a maybe I'll get it, maybe I won't deal...but it turned out well!

Date: 03/13/13 22:52
Author: jst3751

nwkrailfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the comments guys! The shot was really
> just a maybe I'll get it, maybe I won't deal...but
> it turned out well!

I'd say it turned out great. Really clear and crisp in a very special and rare time of day.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0581 seconds