Home Open Account Help 313 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP 7206

Date: 06/14/13 19:47
UP 7206
Author: UPDetector

Heard on the radio last night this unit caught on fire and had to be taken to North Platte for repairs I'm just curios if anyone was able to get any picture of her fire damage or not

Date: 06/14/13 21:50
Re: UP 7206
Author: Red

I don't know what in the heck it is about those post-Dash Eight GEs catching afire like this?!? I rememeber when working the Jeff City & River Subs on the UPRR years ago when the UP had just acquired the CNW, we were running literally brand new CNW power that were already "Fallen Flag" locos, and a buddy of mine had a several-month old CNW C44AC that caught afire--luckily it was 2nd out in the consist. But this issue--while not rampant--seems to have been a trend among Dash Nines and C44ACs.

Date: 06/14/13 22:13
Author: NWRailfan

They break fuel lines or the fittings going into each injector and spray the high pressure fuel mist into the exhaust manifold which eventually catches fire. EMD's fuel lines are routed internally in the engine and ruin the oil if they break for some reason.

Date: 06/15/13 05:24
Author: boxcar

I saw it on the side track in Washington, MO, Thursday. It didn't look that bad on the south side. Sorry no photo's.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/13 05:25 by boxcar.

Date: 06/15/13 12:24
Author: Frontrunner

Even newer ES44AC's have the same problem....n why is GE #1?

Date: 06/18/13 02:49
Author: UPDetector

boxcar Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I saw it on the side track in Washington, MO,
> Thursday. It didn't look that bad on the south
> side. Sorry no photo's.

It's because the damage was on the North side after getting some info from one of my friends who happened to visit Washington

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0369 seconds