Home Open Account Help 189 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP and CN north into Wyoming on ex-C&S

Date: 06/20/13 22:57
UP and CN north into Wyoming on ex-C&S
Author: highgreengraphics

Yesterday's H DENGRF1 19A on Colorado's BNSF Front Range Subdivision sported a UP wing EMD SD70M on the point (can you believe how OLD these are already?) leading two similar CN EMD's, neato! This train could really move, and it left Cheyenne a bit early for optimum sun angle farther north. Regardless, I stuck with it and chased it to Fort Fetterman, WY at Richards Siding, north of Douglas, another all day odyssey.

Photo 1 - The DENGRF passes over the Cache La Poudre River in Fort Collins, CO, at the 16-whistle whistlepost governing trains approaching Mason St from the opposite direction. The new building being constructed in the background is a big addition to CSU's engine laboratory. Should I chase? Sure, why not, I had to get some photos at the Cheyenne depot anyway of an outside location where we intend to install an operating crossing signal, but are having problems with a 110V power supply. Off to the races!

Photo 2 - Rolling across the bridge over a dry wash south of Owl Canyon Siding, CO, north of Wellington.

Photo 3 - Right at the Colorado/Wyoming State Line is this spindly wooden trestle, good for another passage of a DENGRF. The yuccas are gathered in the foreground, seemingly looking on approvingly.

There's mooore...

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/13 14:04 by highgreengraphics.

Date: 06/20/13 23:04
Re: UP and CN north into Wyoming

Photo 4 - I got lunch at Cheyenne, and ate at the UP passenger depot while I did measurements and took photos for the crossing gate project, still not sure which route to take to get the 110V out of the depot, then I got gas and headed north. Another bridge, here the DENGRF rolls over Horse Creek at Horse Creek, WY. The spur in the foreground is half of a wye that was here to serve the Murke Limestone Quarry, which provided limestone to Great Western as part of the sugar beet manufacturing process.

Photo 5 - Looking off the high sandstone bluffs at Chugwater, WY down at the DENGRF passing through the quiet little town. Getting back out of here was problematic, and that cost me missing what would have been the next shot at Slater, WY at the Castle Rock, by 1 minute, as the train was moving right along.

Photo 6 - Rounding the S curve just south of Wheatland, WY.

There's mooore...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/13 13:28 by highgreengraphics.

Date: 06/20/13 23:13

Photo 7 - Climbing away from Moba Jct., north of Wheatland, WY, laying out some diesel soot as it climbs away from the Missouri Basin Power Plant.

Photo 8 - The DENGRF had to wait in the clear at West Wendover, WY for this coal load flowing downgrade with the current of the North Platte River, toward a crew change at nearby Guernsey.

Photo 9 - After the load passes, the DENGRF enters the Canyon Subdivision at West Wendover.

There's mooore...

Date: 06/20/13 23:21

Photo 10 - Closer after having entered the Canyon Subdivision, with the North Platte River in the background.

Photo 11 - Some lengthy driving got me to Orin Junction, where the DENGRF leaves the Canyon Subdivision and enters the Casper Subdivision. The track in the foreground was the C&NW Transfer Track, but now the C&NW is gone, and the line branching off to the left forms a multiple wye, used mainly by coal loads and empties going from the Powder River Basin to the Dave Johnston Power Plant near Glenrock, WY.

Photo 12 - I took just a little too long to find this bridge over the North Platte River near Fort Fetterman, WY, close to Richards Siding. I had been here before, but the dirt road leading to it has eroded a lot recently, and I missed the ideal river-edge location by this much. Oh, well, told you the train was really moving!

One more, lucky 13.

Date: 06/20/13 23:27

Photo 13 - The bridge location I flubbed was my turnaround point, the light was fading too much and clouds were too numerous to follow the DENGRF to Casper, but to get back out, I had to return that direction a couple of miles, which got me close to Richards, where this CASLIN Casper-Lincoln was waiting in the hole for the DENGRF. After obtaining the necessary Track Warrant, here it pulls out of the siding at Richards on a waning 6/20 afternoon. Ahead, dinner in Douglas, and a dark drive home...

Happy long day railfanning! === === = === JLH

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/13 04:45 by highgreengraphics.

Date: 06/20/13 23:44
Author: mtnwestrail

That is a heck of chase. Really like your shot at Chugwater. I've looked at it before, but never had a train to work with while there.

Paul Birkholz
Sheridan, WY

Date: 06/21/13 00:23
Author: dan

bluff shot rules! big effort thought about driving down the north platte in late july aug some years, some have

Date: 06/21/13 08:47
Author: Torisgod

Didn't know yuccas grew in CO. It does get hot there...

Tor in Eugene

Date: 06/21/13 09:14
Author: TCnR

Good shooting, looks like somebody has some new hiking boots. Good to see some photos in the canyon, Wendover is on my 'list', some stuff never seems to move off that list though (like the C&NW overpass).

Date: 06/21/13 09:35
Author: 3rdswitch

Wow! What a great effort with excellent results. Outstanding.
JB

Date: 06/21/13 09:41
Author: FrontRangeTrains

Ah one of the classic JLH chases. Nice work and nice coverage on the northern part of the Front Range!

John Crisanti
Longmont, CO

Date: 06/21/13 10:05
Re: UP and CN north into Wyoming on ex-C&S
Author: MacBeau

Love that third frame. Just outstanding!
—Mac

Date: 06/21/13 10:27
Author: SP8595

Great train to chase and Excellent results:} Dig that "S-Curve" shot in #6.

Date: 06/21/13 12:13
Author: Rathole

What a way to spend the day! Great stuff!!!

Date: 06/21/13 13:57
Author: SD45X

Sweet chase!!

Date: 06/22/13 15:47
Author: ns1000

GREAT set of pics!!!! Thanks for sharing.

Date: 06/22/13 23:03
Author: NH2006

I knew you would chase this one long! Nice job!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0543 seconds