Home Open Account Help 305 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > News Just In - UP Has Pulled The McCloud Switches!

Date: 12/06/13 07:32
News Just In - UP Has Pulled The McCloud Switches!
Author: LoggerHogger

I just received word that Union Pacific may have pulled both of the yard switches at Mt. Shasta, CA that were the connection for the McCloud Ry to the outside world.
We know the South switch was removed a couple months ago. The north switch had been relocated.

We will try to get more info to see if now the north switch is also gone.

If in deed the north switch now removed, that would mean that for the time being the McCloud is isolated from the outside world for the first time in over 100 years.

Here is a photo of my old friend and long time McCloud River RR engineer, Ray Piltz getting his feet wet in the Mt Shasta yard while watering up McCloud #25 back in the 1970's.

Martin

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/13 07:49 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 12/06/13 08:23
Re: News Just In - UP Has Pulled The McCloud Switches!
Author: mcfflyer

Martin, do you hear what I hear? Sounds like weeping from someone in Elko, Nevada. :)

Lee Hower - Sacramento

Date: 12/06/13 08:28
Author: sundance

Yes, they did pull both the east and west power swithes at Mount Shasta.They were replaced with a hand throw switch near the east end for access to the McCloud River Tracks.

Steve

Date: 12/06/13 08:55
Author: LoggerHogger

Steve,

Thanks for clearing that up. I would hope they would not isolate the McCloud entirely.

Martin

Date: 12/06/13 18:00
Author: Josiah

Further story and pictures on the switches at Mt. Shasta from October 23, 2013.

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,3217780,3217780#msg-3217780

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/13 18:00 by Josiah.

Date: 12/06/13 19:00
Author: SP4436

Ray Piltz, the man with the deepest voice ever! I was lucky to sit in his living room on Quincy Street one afternoon around Christmas and have him regail me with lot of great tales of McCloud steam. Truly a gentleman and while I regret only having met him once I am grateful I got to meet him at all. A legend like Malen.

Date: 12/07/13 08:18
Author: Torisgod

The McCloud is dead. Long live the McCloud!

Tor in Eugene

Date: 12/07/13 17:28
Author: TCnR

Drove past this afternoon, manual hand throw from the main as shown in photos. Old power switch is gone, target signals are still standing.

-------------------------------------------------------
> Further story and pictures on the switches at Mt.
> Shasta from October 23, 2013.
>
> http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,3
> 217780,3217780#msg-3217780

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0478 seconds