Home Open Account Help 397 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Question re Crozier and Kingman Canyons

Date: 12/30/13 06:48
Question re Crozier and Kingman Canyons
Author: sooman1

Are the Crozier and Kingman canyons the same entity?.. if not how close are they to each other and how easy to access? After seeing some great images in the last few weeks my interest in peaked for a trip.

bob in Smiths Falls ON

Date: 12/30/13 06:50
Re: Question re Crozier and Kingman Canyons
Author: kdrtrains

No, Kingman canyon is just west of Kingman and Crozier is east about 30 miles.

KR

Date: 12/30/13 06:55
Author: zchcsse

They are different entities, but only 30-40min. apart. Kingman Canyon is EXTREMELY accessible and is located right next to the city of Kingman, AZ.

Crozier Canyon is much more remote but there are numerous scenic spots that are easily accessed in it's area. The best views, however, are difficult to get to/require a lot of climbing. I haven't personally attempted them.

If you're coming into the area from afar, Kingman would be where you'd want to find a hotel. I'd first recommend using Las Vegas, NV as your flying destination, but if that doesn't work, Phoenix is also suitable.

-Tom

Date: 12/30/13 07:22
Author: PERichardson

Fly to Vegas. When you drive over to Kingman you go right by Hoover Dam. The highway used to cross the dam itself.

Date: 12/30/13 07:33
Author: sooman1

Thanks for all the info.. I would driving from Ontario... no problem, I am retired (lots of time, not lots of $$$, sleep in my truck etc.)and lots of places to visit on the way that I have not railfanned...

bob

Date: 12/30/13 08:15
Author: Ptolemy

zchcsse Wrote:
--
> If you're coming into the area from afar, Kingman
> would be where you'd want to find a hotel. I'd
> first recommend using Las Vegas, NV as your flying
> destination, but if that doesn't work, Phoenix is
> also suitable.
>
> -Tom

How about taking the train right to Kingman?

Date: 12/30/13 08:33
Author: goneon66

when r u gonna be out here? if I am free I will show u around kingman canyon.......

Date: 12/30/13 14:16
Author: TCnR

There's an old hiway-style road through the north side of Kingman Canyon, it takes a while to figure out to go to the road crossing in town, turn right and head onto the dead end road to access the popular photo spots. The south side is also the sunny side, another reason to check it out.

*Well, there had been something at the end of the road, can't tell what it is by looking at the current Google photos.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/13 10:25 by TCnR.

Date: 12/30/13 16:33
Author: zephyrus

Some info on towns in the Truxton / Crozier Canyon area:

http://www.theroadwanderer.net/RT66truxton.htm

Crozier Canyon is accessible off old Highway 66, but as stated you have to take some back roads and do some hiking to reach the good spots.

Kingman Canyon is surrounded by the city of Kingman and easily accessible via dirt roads off the east end of Topeka Street (just across the tracks from Andy Devine Ave. / Highway 66 when you are in the old part of town near the depot), although a little hiking gets you to better locations. There is also a nice canyon southwest of town, reachable via 4th Street (which crossed the tracks at the depot) and Old Trails Road (old old Highway 66). This road can get sketchy and the lighting can be challenging, but there are a couple of cool bridges and much rugged terrain.

Note: in all these areas, watch carefully for rattlesnakes. Even in winter, if there is a warm patch they can come out. I have never had a problem at Kingman Canyon, but have been buzzed a few times at Hackberry and along Old Trails. Wear ankle high boots, long pants of rugged material and DO NOT reach into holes you can't see into.

Some great spots along the old Santa Fe!

Also, don't forget to check out the new shortline Kingman Terminal that is switching the industrial park around the Kingman Airport.

Z

Date: 12/30/13 16:56

zephyrus Wrote:

>
> Kingman Canyon is surrounded by the city of
> Kingman and easily accessible via dirt roads off
> the east end of Topeka Street (just across the
> tracks from Andy Devine Ave. / Highway 66 when you
> are in the old part of town near the depot),
> although a little hiking gets you to better
> locations. There is also a nice canyon southwest
> of town, reachable via 4th Street (which crossed
> the tracks at the depot) and Old Trails Road (old
> old Highway 66). This road can get sketchy and
> the lighting can be challenging, but there are a
> couple of cool bridges and much rugged terrain.
>

All of your advice is excellent, but as a point of clarification/consistency, particularly for someone coming in from out of town, the second area you list, with the bridges and such, is generally the area known as "Kingman Canyon". The first area is also a very neat spot (as is all of Kingman, really), but I'm not sure what 'common name' railfans give it.

-Tom

Date: 12/30/13 17:28
Author: zephyrus

zchcsse Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> All of your advice is excellent, but as a point of
> clarification/consistency, particularly for
> someone coming in from out of town, the second
> area you list, with the bridges and such, is
> generally the area known as "Kingman Canyon".
> The first area is also a very neat spot (as is all
> of Kingman, really), but I'm not sure what 'common
> name' railfans give it.
>
> -Tom

Good point, Tom. I spent a lot of time growing up in that area and the locals called both areas Kingman Canyon. I've noticed a lot of railfans call the area east of the depot Kingman Canyon but only some also refer to the western area with the bridges. I tend to think of it all as a continuous area.

Z

Date: 12/30/13 18:30

zephyrus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> zchcsse Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> > All of your advice is excellent, but as a point
> of
> > clarification/consistency, particularly for
> > someone coming in from out of town, the second
> > area you list, with the bridges and such, is
> > generally the area known as "Kingman Canyon".
>
> > The first area is also a very neat spot (as is
> all
> > of Kingman, really), but I'm not sure what
> 'common
> > name' railfans give it.
> >
> > -Tom
>
>
> Good point, Tom. I spent a lot of time growing up
> in that area and the locals called both areas
> Kingman Canyon. I've noticed a lot of railfans
> call the area east of the depot Kingman Canyon but
> only some also refer to the western area with the
> bridges. I tend to think of it all as a
> continuous area.
>
> Z

Yeah, you're right. In essence it really is one continuous area. It's just the upper half is basically mixed in with the town, while the lower half with the bridges, though right next to downtown, seems very remote. So it seems like two distinctly different areas.

Date: 12/30/13 23:08
Author: RustyRayls

The canyon that you see from old Hwy 66 as you go out of Kingman westbound is "Kingman Canyon". Photo #1 is a shot of Kingman canyon from the microwave tower on the caprock above the canyon. The smaller canyon between the ballpark and Hualapai Mountain Road (pronounced "Wall-a-pie") is "Slauhterhouse Canyon". Photo #2 is taken from the east end of Slauhterhouse Canyon off of Hualapai Mountain Rd. Photo #3 is a GoogleEarth image showing the location of the Canyons. The Microwave tower is accessible with a 2WD truck or SUV. I don't know if I would try it with a car.

Old Bob out in Lost Wages (a past resident of Kingman)

Edit #1 --- Add GoogleEarth image

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/13 23:36 by chuchubobnv.

Date: 12/31/13 10:14
Author: NscaleMike

This was from Crozier Canyon....nearest community is Truxton...I enjoy hiking...had my dog with me...he enjoyed the heck out of it...because of the cattle roaming in the area...he is a herding dog.

Date: 12/31/13 12:51
Author: NscaleMike

This is the western edge of Crozier canyon, as it exits out of the canyon

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0823 seconds