Home Open Account Help 370 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Chasing the Sand Man, and a couple of other trains

Date: 01/25/15 19:37
Chasing the Sand Man, and a couple of other trains
Author: BNSFDS

I was notified on Sunday morning of another loaded sand train coming west off the KCS at Metro to head to interchange with the Fort Worth & Western. I had a kitchen pass for the day so I grabbed the camera and scanner and headed north. I intercepted the sand train (KCS symbol OKCAL-23) on the former Santa Fe main north of Fort Worth.

1. KCS 4171 leads another Belle southbound on KCS train OKCAL-23 south of Ponder, Texas.

Due to the light being very nosey during the midday, I headed on south to Texas to see what else is going on. The scanner alerted to me that a couple of BNSF trains were getting ready to head south out of Saginaw Yard. I met up with fellow TO members KenFL9 and KB5WK at the Trinity River bridges to shoot both trains.

2. BNSF train C-EBMDOL0-04A crosses the Trinity River north of downtown Fort Worth, Texas.

Right behind the Donie coal load, the southbound "Stinky Slinky" comes south.

3. BNSF train G-BNVGAT4-19A heads across the Trinity River in Fort Worth, Texas.

Date: 01/25/15 19:40
Re: Chasing the Sand Man, and a couple of other trains

After the sulfur train clears, the Fort Worth & Western gets into action.

4. Former SP SD45 now FWWR SD40-2R number 2024 leads train FWCR-25 through Tower 60 in Fort Worth, Texas.

Behind the Cresson Turn, local job 203 comes south to switch a couple of industries on the Stockyards Lead.

5 and 6. FWWR 2004 and FWWR 2000 head around the wye on the Stockyards Lead in Fort Worth, Texas.

Date: 01/25/15 19:44

By now, the sand train has been recrewed at Saginaw Yard and is ready to come towards the FWWR main at Tower 60. BNSF had 1 more train to run south and again we caught him at the Trinity River bridge.

7. BNSF train M-ALTTPL3-25A crosses the Trinity River north of downtown Fort Worth, Texas.

Now the sand train is on the move. KenFL9 and myself along with another local railfan headed to the other Trinity River bridge west of downtown to start the 2nd half of the sand man chase.

8 and 9. KCS 4171 leads the loaded sand train across the Trinity River west of downtown in Fort Worth, Texas.

Date: 01/25/15 19:49

10. DPU's on the rear of the sand load being shot by KenFL9 and another local railfan in Fort Worth, Texas.

Next place to shoot the train was between Primrose siding at Cresson where the mainline begins it's climb out of the Mustang Creek bottoms.

11. KCS 4171 leads the loaded sand train past the photographers Mustang climbing out of the Mustang Creek bottoms near Cresson, Texas.

Last pic of the train was taken just east of the town of Cresson minutes after the sun set on a beautiful Texas day.

12. FWWR's loaded sand train continues to struggle to beat the force of gravity as the lead KCS SD70ACe and SD70MAC strain to get the heavy train over the grade near Cresson, Texas.

It was a very definitely good day to railfan North Texas.

Enjoy

BNSFDS

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/15 23:43 by BNSFDS.

Date: 01/25/15 20:02
Author: RI_SD40-2_4790

Number 11 with the mustang is pretty cool. Nice work!

Posted from iPhone

Dylan VanAntwerp
Jesup, IA

Date: 01/25/15 22:11
Author: Ritzville

NICE series of pictures with lots of variety!

Larry

Date: 01/26/15 06:00
Author: oklachaser

Really great series of photos.

Ronda Thomas

Date: 01/26/15 16:03
Author: ns1000

Ritzville Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> NICE series of pictures with lots of variety!
>
> Larry

AGREED...!!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0655 seconds